Backscatter Communication Using Ultrawide Bandwidth Signals for RFID Applications
RFID technology for use in real-time object identification is being rapidly adopted in several fields such as logistic, automotive, surveillance, automation systems, etc. . A radiofrequency identification (RFID) system consists of readers and tags applied to objects. The reader interrogates the tags via a wireless link to obtain the data stored on them. The cheapest RFID tags with the largest commercial potential are passive or semi-passive, and the energy necessary for tag–reader communication is harvested from the reader’s signal. Passive RFID tags are usually based on backscatter modulation, where the antenna reflection properties are changed according to information data .
KeywordsBackscatter Signal Symbol Time Antenna Mode Backscatter Modulation Antenna Load
This work has been performed within the framework FP7 European Project EUWB (grant no. 215669).
- 1.Finkenzeller K (2004) RFID handbook: fundamentals and applications in contactless smart cards and identification, 2nd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Chawla V, Ha DS (2007) An overview of passive RFID. IEEE applications & practice, pp 11–17Google Scholar
- 3.To strengthen european technology: The support of RFID within FP7 (2007) European Commission DG Information Society and Media/Unit G2 “Microsystems,” September 2007Google Scholar
- 4.Verdone R, Dardari D, Mazzini G, Conti A (2008) Wireless sensor and actuator networks: technologies, analysis and design. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kim D, Ingram M, Smith W (2001) Small-scale fading for an indoor wireless channel with modulated backscatter. In: Vehicular technology conference, 2001. VTC 2001 Fall. IEEE VTS 54th, vol 3. Atlantic City, NJ, pp 1616–1620Google Scholar
- 6.Proceedings of IEEE, Special issue on UWB technology & emerging applications (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Ha D, Schaumont P (2007) Replacing cryptography with ultra wideband (UWB) modulation in secure RFID. In: 2007 IEEE international conference on RFID, Grapevine, TXGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dardari D (2008) Metodo e apparato per la comunicazione in sistemi RFID a banda ultra-larga (methods and apparatus for the communication in ultrawide bandwidth RFID systems). Italy Patent Application MO2008A000053, 29 February 2008Google Scholar
- 11.Dardari D, D’Errico R (2008) Passive ultrawide bandwidth RFID. In: IEEE Global communications conference (GLOBECOM 2008), New Orleans, LAGoogle Scholar
- 14.Bories S, Ghannoum H, Roblin C (2005) Robust planar stripline monopole for UWB terminal applications. Ultra-wideband, 2005 IEEE international conference, pp 80–84Google Scholar
- 15.Dardari D, Conti A, Ferner U, Giorgetti A, Win MZ (2009) Ranging with ultrawide bandwidth signals in multipath environments. Proc IEEE (Special issue on UWB technology & emerging applications) 97(2):404–426Google Scholar