Fire and Ice
Linda Morabito was four years out of college with a degree in astronomy when she became a navigation engineer for the Voyager mission. On 5 March 1979, Voyager 1 made its closest approach to lo, taking pictures that revealed a world utterly unlike any yet seen in the Solar System (Figure 9.1a).
KeywordsSolar System Sulfur Dioxide Lava Lake Planetary Body Deinococcus Radiodurans
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Jakosky, B. 1998. The Search for Life on Other Planets. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Schulze-Makuch, D. and Irwin, L. N. 2008. Life in the Universe: Expectations and Constraints. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- 8.Consolmagno, G. J. and Lewis, J. 1976.Structural and thermal models of icy Galilean satellites. In: T. Gehrels (ed). Jupiter. Tucson: Univ. of Arizona Press; pp. 1035-1051.Google Scholar
- 9.Zahradka, K., Slade, D., Ballone, A., et al. 2006. Reassembly of shattered chromosomes in Deinococcus radiodurans. Nature 443: 569-573.Google Scholar
- 10.Schulze-Makuch, D. 2010. Io: Is life possible between fire and ice? ƒ. Cosmol. 5: 912-919.Google Scholar