Principles of Medical Oncology and Chemotherapy
This chapter provides an overview of the process that the medical oncologist undertakes when diagnosing and treating the patient diagnosed with a solid tumor. The use of molecular pathology, clinical patient assessment, and staging systems is reviewed. Local therapy (interventional techniques and surgery), along with adjuvant therapy, are discussed. Finally, chemotherapy and molecularly targeted therapies and their roles in prolonging survival and quality of life in the advanced cancer patient are reviewed.
KeywordsRecurrence Score Vinca Alkaloid Interventional Oncologist Recurrence Score Assay Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer
- 6.Van Cutsem E, Kang Y, Chung H, et al. Efficacy results from the ToGA trial: a phase III study of trastuzumab added to standard chemotherapy in first-line human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive advanced gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(Suppl):18s. Abstract LBA4509.Google Scholar
- 10.National Cancer Institute. Cancer staging. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Detection/staging. Accessed 8 Apr 2010.
- 15.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN guidelines for pulmonary function testing. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed 8 Apr 2010.
- 19.Vermorken JB, Trigo J, Hitt R, et al. Open-label, uncontrolled, multicenter phase II study to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of cetuximab as a single agent in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck who failed to respond to platinum-based therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25(16):2171–7.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Chabner B, Longo DL, editors. Cancer chemotherapy and biotherapy: principles and practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001.Google Scholar
- 26.DeVita Jr VT, Lawrence TS, Rosenburg SA, editors. DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg’s cancer: principles & practice of oncology. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.Google Scholar
- 38.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN guidelines for colorectal cancer post-treatment surveillance. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed 17 June 2011.
- 39.Rustin GJ, van der Burg ME, on behalf of MRC and EORTC collaborators. A randomized trial in ovarian cancer (OC) of early treatment of relapse based on CA125 level alone versus delayed treatment based on conventional clinical indicators (MRC OV05/EORTC 55955 trials). J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(Suppl):18s (suppl; Abstract 1)Google Scholar