Sodium Determination Using Ion Selective Electrodes, Mohr Titration, and Test Strips
Sodium content of foods can be determined by various methods, including an ion selective electrode (ISE), the Mohr or Volhard titration procedure, or indicator test strips. These methods are official methods of analysis for numerous specific products. All these methods are faster and less expensive procedures than analysis by atomic absorption spectroscopy or inductively coupled plasma-atomic emission spectroscopy. This experiment allows one to compare sodium analysis of several food products by ISE, Mohr titration, and Quantab® chloride titrators.
KeywordsPotato Chip Sport Drink Potassium Chromate Cottage Cheese Sodium Chloride Content
VanLondon-pHoenix Company, Houston, TX, is acknowledged for its contribution of the sodium and chloride ion selective electrodes, and related supplies, for use in developing a section of this laboratory exercise. Environmental Test Systems/HACH Company, Elkhart, IN, is acknowledged for its contributing the Quantab® Chloride Titrators for use in developing a section of this laboratory exercise.
- AOAC International (2007) Official methods of analysis, 18th edn., 2005; Current through revision 2, 2007 (On-line). Method 941.18, Standard solution of silver nitrate; Method 983.14, Chloride (total) in cheese. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MDGoogle Scholar
- AOAC International (2007) Official methods of analysis, 18th edn., 2005; Current through revision 2, 2007 (On-line). Method 976.25, Sodium in foods for special dietary use, ion selective electrode method. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MDGoogle Scholar
- AOAC International (2000) Official methods of analysis, 17th edn. (refers to 15th ed., 1990). Method 971.19, Salt (chlorine as sodium chloride) in meat, fish, and cheese, indicating strip method. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MDGoogle Scholar
- Ward RE , Carpenter CE (2010) Traditional methods for mineral analysis. Ch. 12. In: Nielsen SS (ed) Food analysis, 4th edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Environmental Test Systems (2009) Quantab® Technical Bulletin. Chloride analysis for cottage cheese. Environmental Test Systems, Elkhart, INGoogle Scholar
- VanLondon-pHoenix Electrode, Company Houston, TX. Product literatureGoogle Scholar
- Wehr HM, Frank JF (Eds) (2004) Standard methods for the examination of dairy products, 17th edn. Part 15.053 Chloride (Salt). American Public Health Association, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar