What Is Happening in Liberal Education?
The very question – what is happening in liberal education, has a contemporaneity – something is happening – now – that represents, for better or worse, a departure from the past. We might lament this departure – what is happening in liberal education – or we might welcome it – what is happening in liberal education – but the question itself suggests a stable concept – liberal education – that is undergoing change.
KeywordsEngineering Education Liberal Education Undergraduate Research Civic Education Modern Language
- Cech, T.R., “Science at Liberal Arts Colleges: A Better Education?” in S. Koblik and S.R. Graubard, eds., Distinctively American: The Residential Liberal Arts College. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Publishers, 2000.Google Scholar
- Huxley, T.H., “A Liberal Education; And Where To Find It” in A.P. Barr, ed., The Major Prose of Thomas Henry Huxley. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- Newman, J.H., The Idea of a University. Notre Dame, Indiana: Notre Dame University Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- Roosevelt, E., “The Place of Women in International Affairs,” in The Smith Alumnae Quarterly, November 1949, pp.9–10.Google Scholar
- Rudolf, F., The American College and University: A History. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press, 1990.Google Scholar