Holistic Systems Integration
Systems engineers can no longer expect to design and build single-purpose systems that operate flawlessly in isolation. Instead, they must assume that they will create new systems by integrating independently developed elements to function harmoniously in a new framework and that their creations, in turn, will become components of larger, evolving, and unpredictable systems. To paraphrase John Donne, in today’s increasingly interconnected world no system is an island.
KeywordsSystem Engineering System Engineer Enterprise Architecture Competency Model Loose Coupler
- Ancona, D., and Bresman, H., X-Teams: How to Build Teams That Lead, Innovate, and Succeed, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA, 1st ed., 26 June 2007.Google Scholar
- BIG Magazine, BIG Interview with Jonathan Ive; http://www.bigmagazine.com/swf/interview.swf (accessed 8 December 2008).
- “Big Company Innovation Picking up Speed, but Marketplace Interest Lags,” ILO Institute News, 9 January 2007; http://www.iloinstitute.org/ilonews.html (accessed 15 July 2009).
- Brooks, J., Beard, J. W., and Carroll, J. S., The Changing Nature of Systems Engineering and Government Enterprises: Report from a Case Study Research Effort, The MITRE Corporation, July 2008; http://www.mitre.org/work/tech/_papers/tech_papers_08/08_0906/08_0906.pdf (accessed 15 July 2009).
- Brunner, R., Emery, S., and Hall, R., Do You Matter? How Great Design Will Make People Love Your Company, FT Press, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2008.Google Scholar
- DeMeyer, A., Loch, C. H., and Pich, M. T., Managing Project Uncertainty: From Variation to Chaos, MIT Sloan Management Review, 60–67, Winter 2002.Google Scholar
- DeRosa, J. K., Rebovich, G., Jr., and Norman, D. O., “The Requirements Conundrum in Complex Systems Engineering,” paper presented at ICSSEA [Software & Systems Engineering and their Applications] 2008, Paris, December 9–11, 2008.Google Scholar
- Fairs, M., Iconeye: ICON Magazine Online, July/August 2003; http://www.iconeye.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2730 (accessed 8 December 2008).
- Flint, D., “The User’s View of Why IT Projects Fail,” Research Note G00124846, Gartner, Inc., 4 February 2005.Google Scholar
- Rhodes, D., “Research Profile: Systems Engineering in the Enterprise,” 21 October 2008; www.seari.mit.edu/documents/summit/2008/05-SEAriSummit08_RP_Rhodes.pdf (accessed 8 December 2008).
- See, for example, Defense Acquisition Performance Assessment Report, Office of the Deputy Secretary of Defense, January 2006; https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=18554 (accessed 16 July 2009); Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on Defense Software, Defense Science Board, November 2000; http://www.acq.osd.mil/dsb/reports/defensesoftware.pdf (accessed 16 July 2009); and Government Accountability Office, Government Best Practices: Better Support of Weapon System Program Managers Needed to Improve Outcomes, Report GAO-06-110, November 2005; http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06110.pdf (accessed 16 July 2009).
- Shenhar, A. J., and Dir, D., Reinventing Project Management: The Diamond Approach to Successful Growth and Innovation, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA, August 2007.Google Scholar
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zh9fibMaEk&NR=1 (accessed 8 December 2008).