Evaluation of Wikis Exploited for Medicine Courses Teaching
Implementing the principles of constructivist approaches to learning Wiki systems are being utilized for various purposes, one of which concerns the education of medical and nursing students. Their use in medicine courses enhances a plethora of issues, most of which are related to the learning effectiveness and their integration into the course from an instructional perspective. The present chapter reviews numerous research studies focusing on the evaluation issues such as the variables and techniques that have been used. Also, related issues regarding the problems that arise from the evaluation methods and the priorities that should be taken are discussed under the scope of fully utilizing the potential of social software.
KeywordsLearning Wiki Systems Medicine Courses Web 2.0 Collaboration Tools Communication Services
- 1.Boulos MK, Maramba I, Wheeler S. Wikis, blogs and podcasts: a new generation of web-based tools for virtual collaborative clinical practice and education. BMC Med Educ 2006, 6:41, Available at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1472-6920-6-41.pdf.
- 2.Elgort I. Using Wikis as a learning tool in higher education. In ICT: Providing choices for learners and learning. Proceedings ASCILITE, Singapore, 2007.Google Scholar
- 5.Chao J. Student project collaboration using Wikis. Proceedings of the 20th Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T 2007), Dublin, Ireland, July 3–5, 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Parker KR, Chao JT. Wiki as a teaching tool. Inter J Knowl Learn Objects 2007;3:57–72.Google Scholar
- 7.Olson G. New tools for learning. Retrieved November 2006, Available at: http://faculty.eicc.edu/golson/tools.htm.
- 8.Honegger BD. Wikis – a rapidly growing phenomenon in the German-speaking school community. Proceedings of the 2005 International Symposium on Wikis, San Diego, CA, USA, October 16–18, 2005;113–116.Google Scholar
- 9.Bower M, Woo K, Roberts M, Watters PA. Wiki pedagogy – a tale of two wikis. Paper presented at the 7th International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET’ 06), Sydney, Australia, 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.Choy SO, Ng KC. Implementing wiki software for supplementing online learning. Aust J Educ Technol 2007;23(2):209–226.Google Scholar
- 13.Raitman R, Augar N, Zhou W. Employing Wikis for online collaboration in the E-learning environment: case study. In Proceedings of the third International Conference on Information Technology and Applications, IEEE Computer Society, July 4th to 7th 2005, Sydney, Australia 2005;142–146.Google Scholar
- 14.Alonso I, Alcalá F, Fernández BV, Brugos JAL, Wiki use in learning for topography Spanish students. EUROCAST 2007, 2007;423–430.Google Scholar
- 15.Harris ST, Zeng X. Using Wiki in an online record documentation systems course, Perspect Health Inf Manag 2008;5:1.Google Scholar