Implementation and Benefits of Computerized Physician Order Entry and Evidence-Based Clinical Decision Support Systems
The practice of medicine tends to lag behind important advances in many ways, including the use of novel diagnostic and treatment modalities. In the field of pathology and laboratory medicine, test complexity and test menus continue to expand, necessitating that clinicians obtain domain expertise to make the appropriate testing decisions for patients. Computerized physician order entry (CPOE) and clinical decision support systems (CDSSs) are one modality through which evidence-based medicine and practice guidelines can be deployed to assist clinicians at the time orders are being placed with the goals of improving the quality of care, decreasing errors, and reducing costs. After a brief introduction to CDSSs, this chapter uses specific examples to illustrate how evidence-based pathology can be used to implement CDSSs and monitor their success through cost-benefit evaluation.
KeywordsEvidence-based clinical decision support systems Computerized physician order entry Evidence-based medicine Clinical decision support systems
- 15.Tanasijevic MJ, Bates DW. Criteria for appropriate therapeutic monitoring of antiepileptic drugs. In: Therapeutic drug monitoring and toxicology, American Association for Clinical Chemistry, editor. Washington, D.C.; 1997. p. 13–19.Google Scholar
- 19.Poteat HT, et al. Appropriateness of prostate-specific antigen testing. Am J Clin Pathol. 2000;113(3):421–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Wolf AM, et al. American Cancer Society guideline for the early detection of prostate cancer: update 2010. CA Cancer J Clin. 2010;60(2):70–98.Google Scholar
- 22.Lieberman R. Evidence-based medical perspectives: the evolving role of PSA for early detection, monitoring of treatment response, and as a surrogate end point of efficacy for interventions in men with different clinical risk states for the prevention and progression of prostate cancer. Am J Ther. 2004;11(6):501–6.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.College of American Pathologists. Laboratory Accreditation Checklist. [cited 2010 May 28]; Available from: http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal.
- 26.The Joint Commission. 2010 National Patient Safety Goals. [cited 2010 May 28]; Available from: http://www.jointcommission.org/patientsafety/nationalpatientsafetygoals/.