Enterprise Risk Management Perspective
Global warming has become a highly concerned issue in enterprise risk management (ERM) and corporate sustainability practices in the business management. Enterprise risk management and corporate sustainability are directly linked with climate change and global warming. Global warming-based results are affected by business risks and their handling priorities. Because risks are verified and increased by global warming, they impact both our world and the business. Also, global warming-based impacts can have effect on corporate sustainability. In this concept, global warming should be considered as part of enterprise risk management issue and sustainability practices. The consequences of the global warming-based risks are threats for sustainability of our world. In this study, enterprise risk management-based framework has been developed to support managing-related risks and promote corporate sustainability risk efforts in the business management. Implementation of such models and getting results takes as much as 5 or 6 years in optimum period. For this reason, basic framework is given in this study. Further work is planned for implementation of this model in specific business sector as a real world situation. Also, this model based on ‘enterprise risk model to corporate sustainability model’ has been developed by Kucuk Yilmaz and Yilmaz (2008).
KeywordsGlobal Warming Risk Management Corporate Sustainability Climate Change Risk Risk Management Process
- Anderson, DR (2007) Sustainability risk management as a critical component of enterprise risk management: global warming – climate change risks. International Insurance Society, ISS 2007 Berlin, Seminatr, http://www.iisonline.org/berlin2007/ 2008.08.14.
- The Australian Greenhouse office (AGO) (2006) Climate Change Impacts & Risk Management, A Guide for Business and Government, The Australian Greenhouse office, in the Department of the Environment and Heritage. P. 72,Google Scholar
- http://www.climatechange.gov. au/impacts/pubs/risk-management.pdf, 2009.08.17.
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (2005) Building a better MD&A climate change disclosures: 9, www.cica.ca 2008.06.12.
- Chen Yu-Ling, Hu, Tseng Chao-Heng AH (2007) Corporate risk management strategies under threats of global warming-Taiwan’s experience. International Society for Environmental Information Sciences Environmental Informatics archives, EIA07-003 Volume 5: 18–26.Google Scholar
- Curtis, PC, Concessi, P (2008) The risk intelligent energy company: weathering the storm of climate change. Oil & Gas Financial Journal Online, Vol. 5, No. 1, http://www.ogfj.com/display_article/318054/82/ARCHI/none/none/1/The-risk-intelligent-energy-company:-weathering-the-storm-of-climate-change/ 2008.06.12.
- D’Silva, R (2008) The effects and consequences of global warming. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/effects-consequences-global-warming.html, 2008.07.21 Union of Concerned Scientists (2008) Common sense on climate change: practical solutions to global warming. http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/solutions/common-sense-on-climate-change-practical-solutions-to-global-warming.html 2008.07.21.
- Global Risk Alliance Pty Ltd NSW Department of State and Regional Development (2005) Risk management guide for small business, 9.Google Scholar
- Hutton, RB, Cox, DB, Clouse, ML, Gaensbaur, JB (2006) The role of sustainable development in risk assessment and management for multinational corporations. Georgia Tech Center for International Business Education and Research Working Paper Series 2007–2008, Working Paper 001-07/08:17.Google Scholar
- Kucuk Yilmaz, A, Karakoc, TH (2008) Sustainability management based approach to global warming. Journal of Management Research, Vol. 1, No. 1: e 5:3, www.macrothink.org/jmr.
- Kucuk Yilmaz, A, Yilmaz, M (2008) Auto Wars: Enterprise Risk Management Model for Corporate Sustainability in the Automotive Business. VDM Verlag Dr. Müller, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Lubber, MS (2008) Climate change and the dangers of undisclosed risk, Financial Risk, Finance, www.climateactionprogramme.org, 2009.08.16.
- Mills, E (1998) The coming storm global warming & risk management. Risk Management Magazine, May iss. 20–27. http://eetd.lbl.gov/EMills/PUBS/comingstorm.html 2008.07.21
- Polard D, Stephen DW (2008) Sustainability, Risk and Opportunity: A Holistic Approach, Accounting for Sustainability, Toronto, November 2008, http://www.accountingforsustainability.org, /files/pdf/CICA%20%20A%20Holistic%20Approach%20Report.pdf 2009.08.17.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) (2007) Enterprise risk management methodology. Overview/Baseline, version 1.2 PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc., http://www.pwc.com/ us/en/retail-consumer/reporting-risks-compliance-controls.jhtml,retrieved on 2009.08.17
- Standards Australia (2004) AS/NZS 4360:2004 Standard. Third edition: 28.Google Scholar
- The Dictionary of Sustainable Management (2009) Sustainability, http://www,sustainabilitydictionary.com/s/sustainability.php, 2009.08.17.