A Subdivision Method for Arrangement Computation of Semi-Algebraic Curves
This chapter covers the use of subdivision methods in algebraic geom- etry with an emphasis on intersection, self-intersection, and arrangement computation, for the case of semi-algebraic curves with either implicit or parametric representation. Special care is given to the genericity of the subdivision, which can be specified whatever the context is, and then specialized to meet the algorithm requirements.
KeywordsSymbolic-numeric computation topology intersection arrangement polynomial solvers mathematical software
AMS(MOS) subject classifications68W30 65D17
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Agarwal and M. Sharir, Arrangements and their applications, Handbook of Computational Geometry (J. Sack, ed.) (2000), pp. 49–119.Google Scholar
- L. Alberti, G. Comte, and B. Mourrain, Meshing implicit algebraic surfaces: the smooth case, in Mathematical Methods for Curves and Surfaces: Tromso'04, L.S.M. Maehlen, K. Morken, ed., Nashboro, 2005, pp. 11–26.Google Scholar
- L. Alberti and B. Mourrain, Visualisation of implicit algebraic curves, in Pacific Graphics, M. Alexa, S. Gortler, and T. Ju, eds., Lahaina, Maui, Hawai, USA, 2007, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 303–312.Google Scholar
- J.L. Bentley and T.A. Ottmann, Algorithms for reporting and counting geometric intersections, IEEE Trans. Comput., C-28 (1979), pp. 643–647.Google Scholar
- E. Berberich, E. Fogel, D. Halperin, K. Mehlhorn, and R. Wein, Sweeping and maintaining two-dimensional arrangements on surfaces: A first step, in ESA, 2007, pp. 645–656.Google Scholar
- A. Bowyer, J. Berchtold, D. Eisenthal, I. Voiculescu, and K. Wise, Interval methods in geometric modeling, Geometric Modeling and Processing (2000), pp. 321–327.Google Scholar
- A. Eigenwillig and M. Kerber, Exact and efficient 2d-arrangements of arbitrary algebraic curves, in Proc. of the 19th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, accepted for publication, 2008.Google Scholar
- G. Elber and M.S. Kim, Geometric constraint solver using multivariate rational spline functions, in Proceedings of the sixth ACM Symposium on Solid Modelling and Applications, ACM Press, 2001, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- G. Farin, Curves and surfaces for computer aided geometric design: a practical guide, Comp. Science and Sci. Computing, Acad. Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- E. Fogel, D. Halperin, L. Kettner, M. Teillaud, R. Wein, and N. Wolpert, Arrangements, in Effective Computational Geometry for Curves and Surfaces, J.-D. Boissonnat and M. Teillaud, eds., Springer-Verlag, Mathematics and Visualization, 2006, pp. 1–66.Google Scholar
- E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson, and J. Vlissides, Design patterns: elements of reusable object-oriented software, Addison-Wesley Professional, 1995.Google Scholar
- J. Garloff and A.P. Smith, Investigation of a subdivision based algorithm for solving systems of polynomial equations, in Proceedings of the Third World Congress of Nonlinear Analysts, Part 1 (Catania, 2000), Vol. 47, 2001, pp. 167–178.Google Scholar
- D. Halperin, Arrangements, in Handbook of Discrete and Computational Geometry, J. E. Goodman and J. O'Rourke, eds., CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL, 2004, ch. 24, pp. 529–562.Google Scholar
- Y. Hijazi and T. Breuel, Computing arrangements using subdivision and interval arithmetic, in Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Curves and Surfaces Avignon, 2006, pp. 173–182.Google Scholar
- S. Joon-Kyung, E. Gershon, and K. Myung-Soo, Contouring 1- and 2- Manifolds in Arbitrary Dimensions, in SMI'05, 2005, pp. 218–227.Google Scholar
- C. Liang, B. Mourrain, and J.-P. Pavone, Subdivision Methods for the Topology of 2d and 3d Implicit Curves, in Geometric Modeling and Algebraic Geometry, Bert Juetller and Ragni Piene, eds., Springer, 2007, pp. 199–214.Google Scholar
- B. Mourrain and J.-P. Pavone, Subdivision methods for solving polynomial equations, J. of Symbolic Computation, doi:10.1016/j.jsc.2008.04.016 (2009), pp. 1–15. To appear (see also http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00070350/).
- B. Zalik, M. Gombosi, and D. Podgorelec, A quick intersection algorithm for arbitrary polygons, in SCCG98 Conf. on Comput. Graphics and its Application, L.S. Kalos, ed., 1998, pp. 195–204.Google Scholar