Synaptic Plasticity at Hippocampal Synapses
This chapter will discuss what is currently known about synaptic plasticity at glutamatergic synapses in the hippocampus. Hippocampal synaptic plasticity is potentially a vast topic with many thousands of research papers published in the field. However, this chapter will not discuss the detailed molecular mechanisms underlying synaptic plasticity and instead will concentrate on the precise activity patterns required to induce synaptic plasticity. This includes the contribution of presynaptic and postsynaptic spiking and the importance of subthreshold postsynaptic depolarisation. Also, this chapter will attempt to relate various induction protocols to known in vivo patterns of neuronal activity.
KeywordsSynaptic Plasticity Synaptic Strength Glutamatergic Synapse Perforant Path Theta Burst Stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buchanan, K.A., and Mellor, J.R. (2007). The development of synaptic plasticity induction rules and the requirement for postsynaptic spikes in rat hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurones. J Physiol (Lond) 585, 429–445.Google Scholar
- Chevaleyre, V., and Castillo, P.E. (2003). Heterosynaptic LTD of hippocampal GABAergic synapses: a novel role of endocannabinoids in regulating excitability (vol 38, pg 461, 2003). Neuron 38, 997–997.Google Scholar
- Daw, M.I., Chittajallu, R., Bortolotto, Z.A., Dev, K.K., Duprat, F., Henley, J.M., Collingridge, G.L., and Isaac, J.T.R. (2000). PDZ proteins interacting with C-terminal GluR2/3 are involved in a PKC-dependent regulation of AMPA receptors at hippocampal synapses. Neuron 28, 873–886.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hebb, D. (1949). The organisation of behaviour. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Ismailov, I., Kalikulov, D., Inoue, T., and Friedlander, M.J. (2004). The kinetic profile of intracellular calcium predicts long-term potentiation and long-term depression. J Neurosc 24, 9847–9861.Google Scholar
- Lisman, J. (1989). A mechanism for the hebb and the anti-hebb processes underlying learning and memory. P Natl Acad Sci U S A 86, 9574–9578.Google Scholar
- Salin, P.A., Scanziani, M., Malenka, R.C., and Nicoll, R.A. (1996). Distinct short-term plasticity at two excitatory synapses in the hippocampus. P Natl Acad Sci U S A 93, 13304–13309.Google Scholar