Low-Temperature Cofired-Ceramic Laminate Waveguides for mmWave Applications
A critical component in mm-wave applications is the electromagnetic interconnect between devices. At mm-wave frequencies it is necessary to consider reducing the losses arising from that of using conventional transmission lines such as stripline and microstrip. An interconnect that offers comparatively lower loss connections at mm-wave frequencies is the laminate waveguide (LWG) constructed in low-temperature cofired ceramic (LTCC) technology. The LWG has superior loss characteristics as compared to stripline. The LWG, which propagates a dominant TE10 wave mode, approximates a dielectrically filled rectangular waveguide where the top and bottom walls are pattern printing and the sidewalls of the waveguide are tightly spaced via fences.
KeywordsInsertion Loss Characteristic Impedance Return Loss Rectangular Waveguide Coupling Length
The author gratefully acknowledges Dr. Billy C. Brock of Sandia National Labs, Ms. Iris Labadie of Kyocera America Inc., and Mr. Ed Graddy of Ferro Inc. for critically reviewing this chapter.
- 1.D. Liu, U. Pfeiffer, J. Grzyb, and B. Gaucher, eds. “Advanced Millimeter-Wave Technologies”, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Uchimura, and T. Takenoshita, “A Ceramic Planar 77 GHz Antenna Array,” 1999 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, vol. 2, pp. 453–456, June 13–19, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.H. Uchimura, N. Shino, and K. Miyazato, “Novel Circular Polarized Antenna Array Substrates for 60 GHz-band,” IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005, pp. 1875–1878, June 12–17, 2005.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Aguirre, H. Pao, H. Lin, P. Garland, D. O’Neill, and K. Horton, “An LTCC 94 GHz Antenna Array” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, San Diego, 2008Google Scholar
- 12.S. Ramo, J.R. Whinnery, and T. Van Duzer. “Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics”, John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Huang, and K. Wu, “A Broadband Integrated LTCC Laminated Waveguide to Metallic Waveguide Transition,” IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2003, pp. 2237–2240, 8–13 June, 2003.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Garland, J. Aguirre, H. Pao, H. Lin, D. O’Neill, and K. Horton, “Manufacturing Challenges for a W-band Laminated Waveguide Phased Array” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, San Diego, 2008.Google Scholar
- 16.D.M. Pozar, “Microwave Engineering”, Addisen-Wesley.Google Scholar