Generalities on Real-Time Programming
This introductory chapter presents general notions about real-time embedded systems. Section 1.1 first defines what embedded, reactive, and real-time systems are. Then, it discusses some important issues that often have to be dealt with during the design of these systems. Then, Sect. 1.2 briefly focuses on the temporal aspects during the execution of a real-time system. It illustrates a typical situation where such a system controls a physical process. This illustration aims to serve as a reasoning basis to address the link between the different perceptions of time from the viewpoints of the physical process and the real-time system. On the basis of various representations of time in real-time systems, Sect. 1.3 describes three main programming models: the asynchronous, preestimated time, and synchronous models. Finally, Sect. 1.4 discusses a few methodological concerns for the design of real-time embedded systems.
KeywordsNuclear Power Plant Embed System Logical Time Static Random Access Memory Execution Platform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gautier T, Le Guernic P, Maffeïs O (1994) For a new real-time methodology. Research report number 2364, INRIA. Available at http://www.inria.fr/rrrt/rr-2364.html
- 3.Harel D, Pnueli A (1985) On the development of reactive systems. Logics and models of concurrent systems. Springer-Verlag, New York, F-13:477–498Google Scholar
- 4.Henzinger TA, Horowitz B, Meyer Kirsch C (2001) Embedded control systems development with Giotto. In: Proceedings of The ACM Workshop on Languages, Compilers, and Tools for Embedded Systems (LCTES’2001), The Workshop on Optimization of Middleware and Distributed Systems (OM’2001), Snowbird, Utah, USAGoogle Scholar
- 5.Henzinger TA, Sifakis J (2006) The embedded systems design challenge. In: Formal methods (FM’2006), LNCS volume 4085, Springer, Heidelberg, pp 1–15Google Scholar
- 7.Martin N (1998) Look who’s talking: Motorola’s C.D. Tam. Available at: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3012/is_1998_Nov
- 8.Kirsch CM (2002) Principles of real-time programming. In: Sifakis J, Sangiovanni-Vincentelli A (eds) 2002 Conference on Embedded Software, EMSOFT’02, LNCS volume 2491. Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar