Equilibria and Inefficiency in Traffic Networks with Stochastic Capacity and Information Provision
In this paper, we study the inefficiencies of various behavior equilibria in traffic networks with stochastic capacity and information provision. Variational inequality models are presented to formulate the travel behaviors associated with user equilibrium (UE) with imperfect information, system optimum (SO) with imperfect information and system optimum with perfect information, respectively. The tight upper bounds of inefficiencies caused by UE selfish behavior with imperfect information are analytically discussed in detail. It is found that when link travel time functions are all polynomial, the worst-case inefficiencies against the SOs with imperfect or perfect information are dependent upon the steepness degree of link time functions and independent of the network topology. The upper bound of inefficiency against the SO with perfect information is yet dependent upon the degradation degree and occurring probability density of link capacity. Furthermore, it is also found that perfect information can always improve the traffic network performance whilst imperfect information has the same worst-case efficiency as zero information.
KeywordsTraffic Network Travel Behavior Perfect Information Link Capacity Imperfect Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research described here was supported by a grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (70521001), a project from the National Basic Research Program of China (2006CB705503), and a grant from the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China (HKUST6215/06E).
- Emmerink, R. (1998). Information and Pricing in Road Transportation . Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Emmerink, R., Verhoef, E.T., Nijkamp, P. and Rietveld, P. (1998a). Information policy in road transport with elastic demand: Some welfare economic considerations. European Economic Review, 42, 71–95.Google Scholar
- Emmerink, R., Verhoef, E.T., Nijkamp, P. and Rietveld, P. (1998b). Information effects in transport with stochastic capacity and uncertainty costs. International Economic Review, 39, 89–110.Google Scholar
- Guo, X., Yang, H. and Liu, T.L. (2007). Bounding the inefficiency of Logit-based stochastic user equilibrium. Submitted toEuropean Journal of Operational Research .Google Scholar
- Huang, H.J., Liu, T.L., Guo, X. and Yang, H. (2006). Efficiency loss of a stochastic user equilibrium in a traffic network with ATIS market penetration. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Studies , 709–719.Google Scholar
- Roughgarden, T. (2005). Selfish Routing and the Price of Anarchy . The MIT Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Sheffi, Y. (1985). Urban Transportation Networks: equilibrium Analysis with Mathematical Programming Methods . Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Google Scholar
- Xiao, F., Yang. H. and Guo, X.L. (2007). Bounding the inefficiency of toll competition among congested roads. Transportation and Traffic Theory 2007, 27–54.Google Scholar
- Yang, H. and Huang, H.J. (2005). Mathematical and Economic Theory of Road Pricing . Elsevier, Oxford.Google Scholar