Numerical Simulations of the Penetration of Glass Using Two Pressure-Dependent Constitutive Models
Penetration of long gold (Au) rods into borosilicate glass was investigated experimentally as a function of impact velocity . Flash radiography was used tomeasure the nose position and rod length as a function of time, and high-speed photography was used to measure the position of the failure front as a function of time. It was found that the failure front, which propagates at a speed much faster than the penetrating rod, quickly outdistances the projectile-target interface. Thus, except for the first few moments after impact, the rod presumably penetrates failed glass.
KeywordsImpact Velocity Borosilicate Glass Equivalent Stress Triaxial Test Lower Impact Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Patel P and Matoya M, (2005), US Army Research Laboratory, Aberdeen, MD, personal communication.Google Scholar
- 13.Chocron S, Dannemann K, Walker J, Nicholls A, Anderson C, (2009), Static and dynamic confined compression of borosilicate glass, to be published in the proceedings of the DYMAT conference, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 18.Steinberg DJ, (1996), Equation of state and strength properties of selected materials. UCRL-MA-106439, Change 1, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA.Google Scholar
- 19.Anderson CE Jr, Chocron S and Behner T, (2009), A constitutive model for in-situ comminuted silicon carbide. J. Amer. Cer. Soc., accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- 20.Holmquist TJ, Johnson GR, Grady DE, Lopatin CM and Hertel ES Jr, (1995), High strain rate properties and constitutive modeling of glass. Proc. 15th Int. Symp. on Ballistics, 237–244, Jerusalem, Israel.Google Scholar
- 21.Nayak GC and Zienkiewicz OC, (1972), Convenient for of stress invariants for plasticity. Journal of the Structural Division, Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 98(ST4): 949–954.Google Scholar
- 22.Wilkins ML, (1999), Computer Simulation of Dynamic Phenomena. Springer, 1999.Google Scholar