Medical imaging informatics is the rapidly evolving field that combines biomedical informatics and imaging, developing and adapting core methods in informatics to improve the usage and application of imaging in healthcare; and to derive new knowledge from imaging studies. This chapter introduces the ideas and motivation behind medical imaging informatics. Starting with an illustration of the importance of imaging in today’s patient care, we demonstrate imaging informatics’ potential in enhancing clinical care and biomedical research. From this perspective, we provide an example of how different aspects of medical imaging informatics can impact the process of selecting an imaging protocol. To help readers appreciate this growing discipline, a brief history is given of different efforts that have contributed to its development over several decades, leading to its current challenges.
KeywordsKnee Pain Chief Complaint Biomedical Informatics Imaging Informatics Brain Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study
- 2.American College of Radiology (ACR) (2005) ACR chair tells House Committee unnecessary and inferior medical imaging lowers quality of care, costs taxpayers. American College of Radiology. http://www.acr.org . Accessed April 23, 2009.
- 5.Clayman CB, Curry RH (1992) The American Medical Association Guide to Your Family’s Symptoms. 1st updated pbk. edition. Random House, New York.Google Scholar
- 8.Dwyer III SJ (2000) A personalized view of the history of PACS in the USA. Medical Imaging 2000: PACS Design and Evaluation: Engineering and Clinical Issues, vol 3980. SPIE, San Diego, CA, USA, pp 2-9.Google Scholar
- 10.Greenes RA (2007) A brief history of clinical decision support: Technical, social, cultural, economic, and governmental perspectives. In: Greenes RA (ed) Clinical Decision Support: The Road Ahead. Elsevier Academic Press, Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- 11.Huang HK (2004) PACS and Imaging Informatics: Basic Principles and Applications. 2nd edition. Wiley-Liss, Hoboken, NJ.Google Scholar
- 14.Kulikowski C, Ammenwerth E, Bohne A, Ganser K, Haux R, Knaup P, Maier C, Michel A, Singer R, Wolff AC (2002) Medical imaging informatics and medical informatics: Opportunities and constraints. Findings from the IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2002. Methods Inf Med, 41(2):183-189.Google Scholar
- 15.Kulikowski CA (1997) Medical imaging informatics: Challenges of definition and integration. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 4(3):252-253.Google Scholar