Optic Nerve Pathway Gliomas and Optic Nerve Meningiomas

  • Sonali Singh
  • Jade S. Schiffman
Part of the M.D. Anderson Solid Tumor Oncology Series book series (MDA, volume 6)


Optic pathway gliomas are intrinsic slow-growing brain tumors that are the most common primary neoplasms of the optic pathways. Optic pathway gliomas are associated with neurofibromatosis type 1; the incidence of optic nerve glioma in patients with this syndrome varies from 8% to 31%. Sporadic optic pathway gliomas present with visual symptoms, the most common of which is decreased visual acuity, but only half of patients with syndromic tumors develop tumor-related signs or symptoms. The optimal treatment of optic pathway gliomas is controversial; options include observation; surgery with clear margins; radiotherapy; and chemotherapy. In general, optic pathway gliomas tend to be low grade and slow growing and associated with long patient survival. Optic nerve sheath meningiomas represent 1% to 2% of all meningiomas and are seen in approximately one quarter of patients with neurofibromatosis type 2. Only 10% of optic nerve sheath meningiomas are primary (arising from the arachnoid villi surrounding the intraorbital or intracanalicular portions of the optic nerves); the remaining 90% are secondary (arising intracranially). The hallmark of optic nerve sheath meningiomas is slowly progressive vision loss. Treatment is conservative, because these tumors usually grow very slowly. Meningiomas are compatible with good vision for many years and are not life threatening.


Optic Nerve Central Retinal Vein Occlusion Optic Canal Optic Nerve Sheath Optic Pathway Glioma 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


  1. 1.
    Shamji MF, Benoit BG. Syndromic and sporadic pediatric optic pathway gliomas: review of clinical and histopathological differences and treatment implications. Neurosurg Focus 2007;23(5):E3.Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Hoffman HJ, Humphreys RP, Drake JM, Rutka JT, Becker LE, Jenkin D, Greenberg M. Optic pathway/hypothalamic gliomas: A dilemma in management. Pediatr Neurosurg 1993;19:186–95.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Liu GT, Brodsky MC, Phillips PC, Belasco J, Janss A, Golden JC, Bilanuik LL, Burson T, Duhaime AC, Sutton LN. Optic radiation involvement in optic pathway gliomas in neurofibromatosis. Am J Ophthalmol 2004;137:407–14.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Miller NR. Primary tumours of the optic nerve and its sheath. Eye (Lond) 2004;18(11):1026–37.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Binning MJ, Liu JK, Kestle JRW, Brockmeyre DL, Walker ML. Optic pathway gliomas: a review. Neurosurg Focus 2007;23(5):E2.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Grill J, Laithier V, Rodriguez D, Raquin MA, Pierre-Kahn A, Kalifa C. When do children with optic pathway tumours need treatment? An oncological perspective in 106 patients treated in a single centre. Eur J Pediatr 2000;159(9):692–6.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Dutton JJ. Gliomas of the anterior visual pathway. Surv Ophthalmol 1994;38(5):427–52.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    Lee AG. Neuroophthalmological management of optic pathway gliomas. Neurosurg Focus 2007;25(5):E1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    Ahn Y, Cho B-K, Kim S-ki, et al. Optic pathway glioma: outcome and prognostic factors in a surgical series. Childs Nerv Syst 2006;22:1136–42.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Jeremić B, Pitz S. Primary Optic Nerve Sheath Meningiomas, first edition. New York, NY: Springer, 2004.Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Bosch MM, Wichmann WW, Boltshauser E, Landau K. Optic nerve sheath meningiomas in patients with neurofibromatosis type 2. Arch Ophthalmol 2006;124(3):379–85.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  12. 12.
    Dutton JJ. Optic nerve sheath meningioma. Surv Ophthalmol 1992;37(3):167–183.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  13. 13.
    Yanoff M, Duker JS, editors. Prechiasmal pathways—compression by optic nerve and sheath tumors. In: Ophthalmology, second edition. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier, 2004.Google Scholar
  14. 14.
    Radhakrishnan S, Lee MS. Optic nerve sheath meningiomas. Curr Treat Options Neurol 2005;7:51–5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2010

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Department of OphthalmologyVeterans HospitalTempleUSA
  2. 2.Section of Ophthalmology, Department of Head and Neck SurgeryThe University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer CenterHoustonUSA

Personalised recommendations