Online Health Care: A Classic Clash of Technology, People, and Processes
This statement, in an e-mail to all physicians at FutureCare Medical Group, epitomized the ambivalence many physicians had for On-Line Patient Services. “Me too,” a partner chimed-in. “WE’LL GO BROKE!” e-mailed another. And so, a string of e-mails expressed frustration, doubt, and even shear refusal to participate in this major strategic initiative. Encouraging patients to send e-messages to unenthusiastic doctors would be a recipe for failure. Without physician support, the project would go nowhere. What was happening? What should be done?
Based on a real life scenario with some fictionalized details, the organization, individuals and email text presented in this paper have been altered to protect confidentiality.
KeywordsTransformational Leadership Role Conflict Online Service Complex Adaptive System Appreciative Inquiry
- 2.Chin T. AMA delegates sort through patient e-mail issues. At: http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2000/07/10/tesb0710.htm. Accessed 12.05.08.
- 3.American Medical Association. Current Procedural Terminology CPT 2008 Standard Edition. Chicago: AMA; 2007.Google Scholar
- 4.Porter S. New, revised CPT codes target online, telephone services. At: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/practice-management/20080229cptcodes.html. Accessed 12.05.08.
- 5.Robbins SP, Judge TA. Organizational Behavior. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:640-658.Google Scholar
- 6.Kotter JP. Leading Change. Boston: Harvard Business School Press; 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.Robbins SP, Judge TA. Organizational Behavior. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:378-416.Google Scholar
- 8.Gunderson L. Physician burnout. Ann Intern Med. 2001;135(2):145-148.Google Scholar
- 9.Hallowell EM. The human moment at work. Harv Bus Rev. 1999;77(suppl 1):58-64, 66.Google Scholar
- 11.Poses R. More on physician reimbursement, CMS, the AMA’s RVS Update Committee (RUC) The healthcare blog. At: http://www.thehealthcareblog.com/the_health_care_blog/2008/05/more-on-physici.html. Accessed 12.05.08.
- 12.Robbins SP, Judge TA. Organizational Behavior. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:75.Google Scholar
- 14.Ash J, Sittig DF, Campbell E, Guappone K, Dykstra R. An unintended consequence of CPOE implementation: shifts in power, control, and autonomy. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2006;11-15.Google Scholar
- 15.Landon B. Changes in career satisfaction among primary care and specialist physicians, 1997–2001. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2003;289:442-449.Google Scholar
- 18.Lorenzi NM, Riley RT. Managing Technological Change: Organizational Aspects of Health Informatics. 2nd ed. New York: Springer; 2004:140-141.Google Scholar
- 19.Wikimedia Foundation. Change management (people). At: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_management_%28people%29. Accessed 13.06.08.
- 20.Robbins SP, Judge TA. Organizational Behavior. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:645-646.Google Scholar
- 21.Ackerman K. Report finds low EHR adoption rates. iHealthBeat. Oct. 16, 2006. At: http://www.ihealthbeat.org/articles/2006/10/12/Report-Finds-Low-EHR-Adoption-Rates.aspx?a=1 Accessed 13.06.08.
- 22.Wikimedia Foundation. Project management. At: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_management June 13, 2008
- 23.Center for Medicaid & Medicate Services. At: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/physicianselfreferral/downloads/cms-ao-2008-01.pdf Accessed 13.06.08.
- 24.Markle Foundation. A common framework for personal health information. At: http://www.connectingforhealth.org/commonframework/docs/P9_NetworkedPHRs.pdf June 13, 2008.
- 25.Evans C, Marshall P, Derman J, Zeiger R. Platforms and personal health applications: what is the tipping point for interoperability? Panel presentation at: AMIA 2008 Spring Conference; 2008 May 29-31; Phoenix.Google Scholar
- 26.Jones T, Reti SR, Jenkins M, Bates DW, Zuckerman AE. Addressing the challenges of using PHR in the primary care setting, Panel presentation at: AMIA 2008 Spring Conference; 2008 May 29-31; Phoenix.Google Scholar
- 27.Kaiser Permanente. Kaiser permanente EHR system facts-KP HealthConnect electronic health record. At: http://www.kphealthconnectq4update.org. Accessed 13.06.08.
- 28.Robbins SP, Judge TA. Organizational Behavior. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:517.Google Scholar
- 31.Robbins SP, Judge TA. Organizational Behavior. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:474.Google Scholar
- 32.Zimmerman B. Edgeware. Insights from Complexity Science for Health Care Leaders. Irving, Texas: VHA Publishers; 1998.Google Scholar
- 34.McDaniel RR, Jordan ME, Fleeman BF. Surprise, surprise, surprise! A complexity science view of the unexpected. Health Care Manage Rev. 2003;23(3):266-278.Google Scholar
- 35.Miller WI, McDaniel RR, Crabtree BF, Stange KC. Practice jazz: understanding variation in family practices using complexity science. J Fam Prac. 2001;50(10):872-878.Google Scholar