A RHIO Struggling to Form: Will it Get Off the Ground?
As Dr. James Gibbs walked through the parking ramp to his car, he could not get out of his mind the meeting he had just attended. The board of directors of the Mid West RHIO (MWR) had just met, and it was a frustrating meeting for all attendees. The cold and rainy evening was a perfect match to Dr. Gibbs’ mood.
Dr. Gibbs had been working to create the capability to share patient clinical data for over 5 years. His passion to improve patient care by ensuring that all clinicians have access to complete data about their patients had in fact fueled the effort to create a regional health information organization (RHIO) before the term was even invented. Certainly, Dr. Gibbs had found a lot of help during the past 5 years, and in the past several years, the group had come tantalizingly close to breaking out of the planning phase of the project towards a launch of the capability to share patient data. But each time something had emerged to slow the effort down or create a roadblock to progress.
KeywordsMember Organization Exchange Health Information Virtual Team Patient Clinical Data Clalit Health Service
- 1.Middleton B. The value of healthcare information exchange and interoperability. Center for Information Technology Leadership Improving Healthcare Value. http://www.citl.org/index.htm.
- 2.Americans Support Online Personal Health Records; Patient Privacy and Control Over Their Own Information are Crucial to Acceptance. http://www.markle.org/resources/press_center/press_releases/2005/press_release_10112005.php. Accessed 3/18/06.
- 4.Overhage M. Indiana Health Information Exchange. http://www.purdue.edu/dp/rche/downloads/ppt/03-22-05_overhage.ppt#306,1; 2005. Accessed 3/18/06.
- 5.Detmer D. Building the national health information infrastructure for personal health, health care services, public health, and research. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2003;3(1). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6947/3/1. Accessed 3/18/06.
- 6.Rubin R. Community health information movement – where it has been, where it is going. In: O’Carroll PW, ed. Public Health Informatics and Information Systems. New York: Springer; 2003.Google Scholar
- 7.Robinson B. Rhio Resistance. http://www.govhealthit.com/article91429-11-14-05-Print. Accessed 3/18/06.
- 8.Interviews with health care leaders. 2006 [unpublished].Google Scholar
- 10.Garets D, Davis M. Electronic Medical Records vs. Electronic Health Records: Yes, There is a Difference. Chicago, IL: HIMSS Analytics; 2005. http://www.himssanalytics.org/docs/WP_EMR_EHR.pdf.
- 11.Goedert J. Are RHIOs for real?. Health Data Manage. http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/html/current/CurrentIssueStory.cfm?articleId=12877.
- 12.Blondheim O. RHIO – A Success Story, HIMSS06 Conference – Session 123.Google Scholar
- 13.CAL RHIO: Framework for Technology Working Group, CAL RHIO. http://www.calrhio.org/workinggroups/technology/meetingmaterials/minutes082505.pdf.
- 14.Connecting for Health, Markle Foundation. http://www.connectingforhealth.org/.
- 15.Hallowell EM. The human moment at work. Harv Bus Rev. 1999;77(1):58-January/February1999.Google Scholar