Model Identification in Wavelet Neural Networks Framework
The scope of this study is to present a complete statistical framework for model identification of wavelet neural networks (WN). In each step in WN construction we test various methods already proposed in literature. In the first part we compare four different methods for the initialization and construction of the WN. Next various information criteria as well as sampling techniques proposed in previous works were compared to derive an algorithm for selecting the correct topology of a WN. Finally, in variable significance testing the performance of various sensitivity and model-fitness criteria were examined and an algorithm for selecting the significant explanatory variables is presented.
KeywordsMean Square Error Hide Unit Wavelet Frame Load Forecast Wavelet Neural Network
- 3.Bernard, C., Mallat, S., Slotine, J.-J.: Wavelet Interpolation Networks. In Proc. ESANN ′98, 47–52 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Zapranis, A., Alexandridis, A.: Weather Derivatives Pricing: Modelling the Seasonal Residuals Variance of an Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Temperature Process with Neural Networks. Neurocomputing (accepted, to appear) (2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Xu, J., Ho, D.: A Constructive Algorithm for Wavelet Neural Networks. Lecture Notes in Computer Science(3610), 730–739 (2005)Google Scholar
- 22.Li, S., Chen, S.-C.: Function Approximation using Robust Wavelet Neural Networks. In Proc. ICTAI ′02, 483–488 (2002)Google Scholar
- 24.Zapranis, A., Refenes, A.: Principles of Neural Model Indentification, Selection and Adequacy: With Applications to Financial Econometrics. Springer-Verlag (1999)Google Scholar