Health Monitoring using Infrastructure-oriented
There is considerable interest in using wireless and mobile technologies in health monitoring in diverse environments including homes, assisted living facilities, and nursing homes. In this chapter, we discuss how infrastructureoriented wireless networks, including commercial cellular/3G and versions of IEEE 802.11 wireless LANs, can be used to support health monitoring in diverse environments. We also present a multi-network architecture to address the reliability requirements of wireless health monitoring.
KeywordsWireless Network Medium Access Control Access Point Health Monitoring Generalize Packet Radio Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
-  Varshney U (2003) The status and future of 802.11-based WLANs. IEEE Computer, 36(6):102-105, JuneGoogle Scholar
- Guest Editorial (2004) M-health: beyond seamless mobility and global wireless healthcare connectivity. IEEE Transactions on IT in Biomedicine, 8(4):405-414, DecemberGoogle Scholar
-  Varshney U (2006) Patient monitoring using infrastructure-oriented wireless LANs. Int. J. on Electronic Healthcare, 2(2):149-163Google Scholar
- Tejero-Calado et.al (2005) IEEE 802.11 ECG monitoring system. Proc. 27th Annu. Int. Conf. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc., 7139-7142Google Scholar
- Ko W, Jeong E, Kim S, Cho H, Kim W (2003) Implementation of a handover between wireless LANs and public cellular CDMA network for a portable patient monitoring system. In Proc. EMBS Asia-Pacific Conference on Biomedical Engineering, 98-99Google Scholar
- FCC Enhanced 911(www.fcc.gov/e911)Google Scholar
- Jovanov E, O’Donnel A, Morgan A, Priddy B, Hormigo R (2002) Prolonged telemetric monitoring of heart rate variability using wireless intelligent sensors and a mobile gateway. In Proc. Second Joint IEEE EMBS/BMES Conference, 1875-1876Google Scholar
- Liszka K, Mackin M, Lichter M, York D, Pillai D, Rosenbaum D (2004) Keeping a beat on the heart. IEEE Pervasive Computing Magazine, 42-49, Oct-DecGoogle Scholar
- Yu S, Cheng J (2005) A wireless physiological signal monitoring system with integrated bluetooth and WiFi technologies. Proc. 27th Annu. Int. Conf. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. 2203-2206Google Scholar