E-Health and IT in Healthcare
Information Technologies can play a major role in how healthcare services are designed, offered and utilized. In this chapter, we show how IT can be utilized in healthcare. More specifically, the topics of health informatics, electronic health, electronic health records, and telemedicine are discussed. Also, HIPAA is discussed in the context of IT and healthcare. Detailed discussion on medical records and several challenges in the wide-scale deployment are also presented. The future of telemedicine is also addressed.
KeywordsHealthcare Professional Medical Error Electronic Health Record Healthcare Information Telemedicine System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Website for HIPAA. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa
- Tierney W, Zafar A (2002) EMRs: An Introductory Tutorial, Available at http://healthit.ahrq.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_251_0_0_18/EMR%20Talk.ppt
- Website for Google Health:http://www.google.com/health
- Website for HealthVault: http://www.healthvault.com
-  Makeham M, Dovey S, County M, Kidd M (2002) An international taxonomy for errors in general practice: a pilot study. Medical Journal of Australia, 177: 68–72, July 15thGoogle Scholar
- Website for CCHIT: http://www.cchit.org
- Website for Hl7: http://www.HL7.org
- Wikipedia for Regional Health Information Organizations at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RHIO
- Website for Office of National Coordinator for HIT: http://www.hhs.gov/healthit/initiatives/
- Butz A, Kruger A (2006) User-centered development of a pervasive healthcare application. Proceedings of First International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (IEEE), Nov.Google Scholar
- Weerasinghe D, Elmufti K, Rajarajan M, Rakocevic V (2006) XML security based access control for healthcare information in mobile environment. Proceedings of First International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (IEEE), Nov.Google Scholar
- Ferreira A, Barreto L, Brandao P, Correia R, Sargento S, Antunes L (2006) A secure wireless architecture to access a virtual electronic patient record. Proceedings of First International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (IEEE), Nov.Google Scholar