Liposome-Based Mucoadhesive Formulations for Oral Delivery of Macromolecules
The design and evaluation of liposome-based mucoadhesive dosage form containing mucoadhesive polymers (e.g., chitosan, pectin, carbopol, and PVA-R) have been described. Liposomes with different compositions were prepared and surface-modified by various polymers. The surface coating or complexation of liposomes was confirmed by monitoring the changes in surface charge before and after surface modification. The mucoadhesion of the liposome-based formulations has been examined both in vitro and in vivo. Using CLSM, the penetration of polymer-coated liposomes or polymer–liposome complexes into a layer of mucus in the rats after oral administration was confirmed. The pharmacological action of the macromolecular drugs (e.g., insulin and calcitonin) was observed after oral administration. In most cases, the polymer-coated liposomes and/or polymer–liposome complexes showed superior pharmacological action compared to other systems without mucoadhesive polymers.
KeywordsConfocal Laser Scanning Microscope Liposomal Formulation Mucus Layer Cationic Liposome Peptide Drug
- Lenaerts V, Couvreur P, Grislain L, Maincent P (1990) Nanoparticles as a gastroadhesive drug delivery system. In: Lenaerts V, Gurny R (eds) Bioadhesive Drug Delivery Systems, CRC Press, Florida, pp 93–104Google Scholar
- Nagata T, Tozuka Y, Takeuchi H (2006) Design and evaluation of polymer-coated liposomes for mucosal absorption of drugs. Proceedings of the 23th symposium on particulate preparation and designs 23:168–171Google Scholar
- Patel H, Ryman BE (1981) Systemic and oral administration of liposomes. In: Knight CG (ed) Liposomes: From Physical Structure To Therapeutic Applications, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 409–441Google Scholar
- Schumacher U, Schumacher D (1999) Functional histology of epithelia relevant for drug delivery: Respiratory tract, digestive tract, eye, skin, and vagina. In: Mathiowitz E, Chickering III DE, Lehr CM (eds) Bioadhesive Drug Delivery Systems: Fundamentals, Novel Approaches and Development, Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 67–83Google Scholar
- Thongborisute J, Tsuruta A, Takeuchi H (2008) Correlation of drug absorption level and pharmacological efficiency of oral chitosan-coated liposomal systems. UnpublishedGoogle Scholar