Ethics and Managerial Epidemiology Practice
Identify potential ethical concerns regarding surveys of health.
Design an informed consent form for an observational epidemiologic study.
Discuss strategies to increase the security of protected health information.
Cite behaviors, positive and negative, which reflect the ethical practice of managerial epidemiology and their implication upon the delivery of health services across the continuum of care.
KeytermsAdvanced directives Ethics HIPAA Informed consent Institutional Review Board
- American College of Epidemiology, 2000, Ethics Guidelines, Available at: http://www.acepidemiology2.org/cttes/ethics/
- American College of Healthcare Executives, 2007, ACHE Code of Ethics, Available at: http://www.ache.org/ABT_ACHE/code.cfm.
- Giuliano, A.R., Mokuau, N., Hughes, C., Tortolero-Luna, G., Risendal, B., Ho, R.C.S., Prewitt, T.E., and McCaskill-Stevens, W.J., 2000, Participation of minorities in cancer research: the influence of structural, cultural, and linguistic factors, Ann. Epidemiol. 10:S22–S34.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kilbourne, E.D., 2006, Influenza pandemics of the 20th century, Emerging Infectious Dis. 12:9–13.Google Scholar
- Kinlaw, K., and Levine, F. for the Ethics Subcommittee of the Advisory Committee to the Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2007, Ethical Guidelines in Pandemic Influenza, (October 31, 2008). http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/phec/panFlu_Ethic_Guidelines.pdf.
- Public Health Leadership Society, 2002, Principles of the Ethical Practice of Public Health, Version 2.2. (October 12, 2008), http://www.apha.org/NR/rdonlyres/1CED3CEA-287E-4185–9CBD-BD405FC60856/0/ethicsbrochure.pdf.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights, Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information, Available at: http://hhs.gov/ocr/.
- Vega, W.A., Karno, M., Alegria, M., Alvidrez, J., Bernal, G., Escamilla, M., Escobar, J., Guarnaccia, P., Jenkins, J., Kopelowicz, A., Lagomasino, I.T., Lewis-Fernandez, R., Marin, H., Lopez, S., and Loue, S., 2007, Research issues for improving treatment of U.S. Hispanics with persistent mental disorders, Psychiatr. Serv. 58:385–394.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yip, C., Smith, R.A., Anderson, B.O., Miller, A.B., Thomas, D.B., Ang, E., Caffarella, R.S., Corbex, M., Kreps, G.L., and McTiernan, A., on behalf of the Breast Health Global Initiative Early Detection Panel, 2008, Guideline implementation for breast healthcare in low- and middle-income countries: early detection resource allocation, Cancer Suppl. 113:2244–2256.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, 1995, Guidelines for Good Clinical Practice (GCP) for Trials on Pharmaceutical Products, WHO Technical Report Series, No. 850, 1995, Annex 3, Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, 2002, Executive summary. In National Cancer Control Programmes: Policies and managerial Guidelines, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, 2007, Ethical Considerations in Developing a Public Health Response to Pandemic Influenza, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar