Lifting Elephants: Twitter and Blogging in Global Perspective
When we think about the actions that people are taking as a group, we must think how they interact to form patterns of collective behavior, not just how each individual acts. The patterns that arise result from the structure of interactions between individuals and benefits can arise from both connections and disconnections between individuals. Connections can lead to similar or coordinated behavior, which is important when the task involved requires such coordination. Separation and a lack of communication are required when there are independent subtasks to perform .
KeywordsTwitter User Social Computing Solve Complex Problem Israeli Kibbutz Tweet Stream
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yaneer, Bar-Yam (2005), Solving Real World Problems. In Making Things Work: Solving Complex Problems: Solving Complex Problems in a Complex World.Google Scholar
- 2.TinySex, the precursor of cybersex or “cyber”.Google Scholar
- 3.Beaumont, Claudine (2008), Mumbai attacks: Twitter and Flickr used to break news. Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/3530640/Mumbai-attacks-Twitter-and-Flickr-used-to-break-news-Bombay-India.html
- 4.Sarno, David (2008), Mumbai News Fished from Twitter's Rapids. LA Times http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/12/mumbai-news-fis.html
- 5.Ingram, Matthew (2008), Yes, Twitter is a source of journalism. www.mathewingram.com/work/2008/11/26/yes-twitter-is-a-source-of-journalism/Google Scholar
- 6.Gladkova, Svetlana (2008), Mumbai Attacks: Twitter Adds to the Noise but Is Still Valuable. http://profy.com/2008/11/27/mumbai-attacks-twitter-adds-to-the-noise-but-is-still-valuable/
- 7.Ranganathan, Vinu. http://flickr.com/photos/vinu/sets/72157610144709049/
- 8.Vandermore, Snow. 10 Twitter Agendas: what's yours? http://www.twitip.com/10-twitter-agendas-whats-yours/#more-707
- 11.Twitter (2008), Changes for SMS Users—Good and Bad News. http://blog.twitter.com/2008/08/changes-for-some-sms-usersgood-and-bad.html
- 12.Yaneer, Bar-Yam (2004), Solving World Problems. In: Making Things Work: Solving Complex Problems in a Complex World. NECSI Knowledge Press. P. 91.Google Scholar
- 13.Ayittey, George (2006), Africa Unchained: The Blueprint for Africa's FutureGoogle Scholar
- 14.Verclas, Katrin (2008), SMS Critical to Election Monitoring in Ghana. http://mobileactive.org/sms-critical-election-observation-ghana