Uniform Access to Heterogeneous Grid Infrastructures with JSAGA
Grids have been developed to provide uniform access to computing and storage resources, but since existing grid infrastructures have been deployed within the context of distinct projects, technological choices have often differed. Many users need to use several grid infrastructures, and they are facing complexity because of these differences.
Several existing tools hide the middleware heterogeneity for this very purpose. However, the existing infrastructures do not differ only by their middleware; they also differ by their policies (e.g. network filtering rules), the supported security contexts (e.g. known certificate authorities) and the worker nodes configuration (e.g. available commands and services, environment variables). This paper explains how JSAGA, an implementation of the OGF SAGA (Simple API for Grid Application) specification, addresses these issues to enable efficient and uniform usage of existing grid infrastructures, such as EGEE, OSG, DEISA, NAREGI…
KeywordsApplication Program Interface Certificate Authority Grid Infrastructure Grid Application Work Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Foster, C. Kesselman, S. Tuecke (2001) The Anatomy of the Grid: Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations. Intl J. Supercomputer Applications.Google Scholar
- JSAGA web site, http://grid.in2p3.fr/jsaga/ Accessed 26 September 2008.
- Grid Interoperability Now (GIN), http://forge.ggf.org/sf/go/projects.gin/wiki Accessed 26 September 2008.
- OMII-Europe, http://omii-europe.org/ Accessed 26 September 2008.
- G. Allen, K. Davis, T. Goodale, A. Hutanu, H. Kaiser, T. Kielmann, A. Merzky, R. van Nieuwpoort, A. Reinefeld, F. Schintke, T. Schütt, E. Seidel, and B. Ullmer (2005) “The Grid Application Toolkit: Towards Generic and Easy Application Programming Interfaces for the Grid”, Proceedings of the IEEE, 93(8):534–550.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- G. von Laszewski, I. Foster, J. Gawor, and P. Lane (2001) A Java Commodity Grid Kit. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 13(8–9):643–662.Google Scholar
- T. Goodale, S. Jha, H. Kaiser, T. Kielmann, P. Kleijer, G. von Laszewskik, C. Lee, A. Merzky, H. Rajic, J. Shalf (2006) SAGA: A Simple API for Grid Application – High-level application programming on the Grid. Computational Methods in Science and Technology, 12(1):7–20.Google Scholar
- T. Goodale, S. Jha, H. Kaiser, T. Kielmann, P. Kleijer, A. Merzky, J. Shalf, C. Smith (2008) A Simple API for Grid Applications (SAGA) version 1.0. http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.90.pdf Accessed 26 September 2008.
- C. Jacobs, T. Kielmann (2008) A Simple API for Grid Applications – Java Language Binding version 0.9. https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15044 Accessed 26 September 2008.
- A. Anjomshoaa, F. Brisard, M. Drescher, D. Fellows, A. Ly, S. McGough, D. Pulsipher, A. Savva (2005) Job Submission Description Language (JSDL) Specification version 1.0. http://www.gridforum.org/documents/GFD.56.pdf Accessed 26 September 2008.
- S. Fisher, A. Paventhan (2008) SAGA API Extension: Service Discovery API version 1.0 RC.1. http://www.ogf.org/Public_Comment_Docs/Documents/2008-05/saga_sd-v1.0rc1.pdf Accessed 26 September 2008.
- EGEE, http://www.eu-egee.org/ Accessed 7 October 2008.
- OSG, http://www.opensciencegrid.org/ Accessed 7 October 2008.
- DEISA, http://www.deisa.eu/ Accessed 7 October 2008.
- NAREGI, http://www.naregi.org/index_e.html Accessed 7 October 2008.
- RUGBI, http://rugbi.in2p3.fr/public/en/index.html Accessed 7 October 2008.
- Elis@, http://elara.c-s.fr/elisaportal/servlet/Bienvenue Accessed 7 October 2008.
- JJS, http://cc.in2p3.fr/docenligne/269 Accessed 7 October 2008.
- JUX, http://cc.in2p3.fr/docenligne/821 Accessed 7 October 2008.