You need a steady stream of candidates to make the interview pipeline effective and successful. This chapter provides a framework for organizing and working with sources, sourcers, and recruiters. It also covers basic market analysis and creating effective job descriptions.
KeywordsActive Candidate Prospective Candidate Stack Overflow Talent Pool Career Portal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2011, including occupation categories Computer Programmers (15-1131); Software Developers, Applications (15-1132); and Software Developers, Systems Software (15-1133). http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm.
- 2.See, for example, George Lakoff and Mark Johnson, Philosophy in the Flesh:The Embodied Mind and its Challenge to Western Philosophy (New York: Basic Books, 1999); Susan J. Blackmore, Consciousness:An Introduction, 1st ed. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004).Google Scholar
- 3.Mark S. Granovetter, “The Strength of Weak Ties,” American Journal of Sociology, 78, no. 6 (1973): 1360–1380. http://sociology.stanford.edu/people/mgranovetter/documents/granstrengthweakties.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.For a disturbing example of how readily a person’s judgment is influenced by apparently unrelated events two weeks prior, see J. Freedman and S. Fraser, Compliance without pressure: The foot-in-the-door technique. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 4 (1966), 195–202.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Widely reported; see for example M. R. Banaji, Ordinary prejudice. Psychological Science Agenda, American Psychological Association, 14 (Jan–Feb 2001), 8–1.Google Scholar
- 7.Chun Siong Soon, Marcel Brass, Hans-Jochen Heinze, and John-Dylan Haynes, Unconscious determinants of free decisions in the human brain. Nature Neuroscience (April 13, 2008).Google Scholar
- 8.Network World, April 2011. http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/042711-ciscoretirement.html.
- 9.U.S. Department of Labor, Quick Stats on Women Workers, 2010. http://www.dol.gov/wb/factsheets/QS-womenwork2010.htm.
- 10.M. Yap and A. M. Konrad, Gender and racial differentials in promotions: Is there a sticky floor, a mid-level bottleneck, or a glass ceiling? Relations Industrielles/Industrial Relations (RI-IR), 64 (fall 2009), 593–620. http://www.erudit.org/revue/ri/2009/v64/n4/038875ar.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar