John Pierpont Morgan, patriarch of the banking dynasty, famously asserted that credit was based on trust. Knowing whom he was lending to was more important than either cash or property collateral, he explained to Congress in 1912. In today’s commercial relationships, trust still denotes an expectation of behavior that is the foundation for commercial credit.
KeywordsCredit Risk Credit Default Swap Intangible Asset Corporate Reputation Credit Spread
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Surowiecki J. The trust crunch. The New Yorker. 20 October 2008. Available at: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2008/10/20/08l020ta_talk_surowiecki. Accessed 2 August 2012.
- 2.Authers J. A return to vision of J. P. Morgan. Financial Times. 29 July 2012. Available at: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e6e6a57c-d7d2-Mel-80a8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz22O9ypWml. Accessed 2 August 2012.
- 5.Amato J, Remolona E. The credit spread puzzle, BIS Quarterly Review. 2003; 51–63.Google Scholar
- 7.Goodman PS. Taking hard new look at a Greenspan legacy. The New York Times. 8 October 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/business/economy/09greenspan.html?pagewanted=all. Accessed 2 August 2012.
- 8.Fitch affirms Volkswagen at ‘A—’ on Porsche acquisition. Press Release. Reuters. 5 July 2012. Available at: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/05/idlNVVNA042820120705. Accessed 3 August 2012.
- 9.Benjamin H. Porsche joins Bugatti to spur VW bonds record: corporate finance. Bloomberg. 9 July 2012. Available at: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-08/porsche-joins-bugatti-to-spur-vw-bonds-record-corporate-finance. Accessed 3 August 2012.
- 10.Hulten C. Agnostic blessings: how to count intangibles. Mission Intangible Monthly Briefing. 3 December 2010. Audio recordings available from the Intangible Asset Finance Society: http://iafinance.org/monthly-briefings. Accessed 15 September 2012.
- 11.Bauer R, Hann D. Corporate environmental management and credit risk. Working paper, European Centre for Corporate Engagement, June 30, 2010. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=16604700orhttp://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1660470. Accessed 3 August 2012
- 12.Mitchell SL How reputation drives principled performance. Mission Intangible Monthly Briefing, 1 April 2011. Audio recordings available from the Intangible Asset Finance Society: http://iafinance.org/monthly-briefings.
- 13.Dassen S. Sin companies and credit risk. Master’s Thesis. Maastricht University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Maastricht, 24 May 2011.Google Scholar
- 14.Chapelle T. S&P emphasizes safety as factor in credit scores. Agenda. 24 October 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.Fombrun, CJ, Gardberg NA, Sever JM. The reputation quotient: a multi-stakeholder measure of corporate reputation. Journal of Brand Management. 1999; 7: 241–255.Google Scholar
- 17.Anginer D, Warburton AJ, Yildizhan C. Corporate reputation and cost of debt. Available at: SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1873803 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2l39/ssrn.1873803. Accessed 3 August 2012
- 18.Lucier M. Quantifying the financial impact of reputation. In Building and enforcing intellectual property value 2010. IP Media Group, 2010; 15–20.Google Scholar
- 19.James C. Buyout financing: the changing role of banks in deal financing. Available at: http://www.frbsf.org/csip/research/200710_Chris_James.pdf. Accessed 3 August 2012.
- 21.Reputation risk in focus at credit rating agencies. Business Insurance. 26 February 2012. Available at: http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20120226/NEWS06/302269975. Accessed 2 August 2012.
- 22.Polansek T. S&P cuts CME Group rating due to MF Global risk. Reuters. 10 February 2012. Available at: http://www.porknetwork.com/pork-news/SP-cuts-CME-Group-rating-due-to-MF-Global-risk-139044309.html?view=all. Accessed 2 August 2012.
- 23.Crisis communications case study: Tylenol. BCMpedia. Available at: http://www.bcmpedia.org/wiki/Crisis_Communications_Case_Study_Tylenol. Accessed 12 August 2012.
- 24.Case study: the Johnson & Johnson Tylenol crisis. Crisis Communication Strategies. DoD Joint Course in Communication. Available at: http://www.ou.edu/deptcomm/dodjcc/groups/02C2/Johnson%20&%20Johnson.htm. Accessed 12 August 2012.
- 27.Measuring the future: the value creation index. Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Center for Business Innovation, 2000; 3.Google Scholar
- 28.Kossovsky N. Accounting for intangibles: from IP to CEO. Patent Strategy & Management. 2007; 8(7):3–4.Google Scholar
- 29.Pittsburgh. Urban dictionary. Available at: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pittsburgh&page=2. Accessed 1 September 2012.
- 30.Smith A. An inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations. London: Strahan & Cadell, 1776.Google Scholar
- 32.Steel City Re. Protecting reputation value. Available at: http://www.steelcityre.com/protecting_value.shtml. Accessed I September 2012.
- 33.Tait N, Kirk S. Lex in depth: Volkswagen. Financial Times. 5 September 2012. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8723e25e-f761-11e1-8c9d-00144feabdcO.html#axzz25h3VSeTG. Accessed 6 September 2012.