We have shown how reputation is a consequence of corporate behavior that motivates stakeholders to behave in ways that either reward or punish the corporation. We’ve argued that reputation crises—4instances in which markets punish companies—are often consequences of operational failures in one or more of the six business processes that are the pillars of reputation (Table 1-1). The factor precipitating market punishment is the magnitude of the market’s disappointment when expectations are not met.
KeywordsBusiness Process Family Business Intangible Asset Corporate Culture Corporate Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Robert C. Brandegee is a management consultant, retired, with Brandegee Incorporated.Google Scholar
- 2.Aron Cramer President and CEO, BSR (a CSR consultancy)_as quoted in Klein P. Can say on pay increase social responsibility? Forbes. 3 July 2012. http://www.forbes.com/sites/csr/2012/07/03/can-say-on-pay-increase-social-responsibility/?goback=.gde_2955795_memberj30388605 Accessed11August 2012.
- 4.Jannarone J. Elisabeth Murdoch slams ‘profit without purpose.’ The Wall Street Journal. 23 August 2012. Available at: http://online.wsj.com/article/SBI0000872396390444812704577607 642320827980.html. Accessed 31 August 2012.
- 5.Murdoch J. 2009 Edinburgh International Television Festival MacTaggart Lecture. 28 August 2009.Google Scholar
- 6.Skapinker M. Murdochs’ schism has lessons for companies. Financial Times. 29 August 2012. Available at: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/be8868l2-ee2b-11 e 1-b0e4-00144feab49a.html#axzz259xfuRil_. Accessed 31 August 2012.
- 7.Chick-fil-A. Why we’re closed on Sunday. Available at: http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Company/Highlights-Sunday. Accessed 9 August 2012.
- 8.Yes, Chick-fil-A says, we Explicitly do not like same-sex couples. Available at: Change.org, 26 January 2011.Jones M. http://news.change.org/stories/yes-chick-fil-a-says-we-explicitly-do-not-like-same-sex-couples. Accessed 9 August 2012.
- 9.Dan Cathy, Chick-Fil-A president, on anti-gay stance: ‘guilty as charged.’ Huffmgton Post. 17 July 2012.Google Scholar
- 10.Zimmerman N. Ed Helms takes high-profile stand against Chick-fil-A for anti-same-sex-marriage stance [UPDATE: Chick-fil-A Relents?]. Gawker. 19 July 2012. Available at: http://gawker.com/5927438/ed-helms-takes-high+profile-stand-against-chick+fil+a-for-anti+same+sex+marriage-stance. Accessed 9 October 2012.
- 11.Cline S. Chick-fil-A’s controversial gay marriage beef. US News and World Report 27 July 2012. Available at: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/07/27/chick-fil-as-controversial-gay-marriage-beef. Accessed 9 August 2012.
- 12.Gay rights activists hold ‘kiss day’ at Chick-fil-A restaurants. CNN. 4 August 2012. Available at: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/03/us/chick-fil-a-kiss-day/index.html. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 13.White MC. Chick-fil-A waffles on gay marriage rights, fries brand image. NBC News,. 21 September 2012. Available at: http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/21/14009108-chick-fil-a-waffles-on-gay-marriage-rights-fries-brand-image?lite. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 14.Schwirtz M. Breast cancer group changes leaders. The New York Times. 8 August 2012. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/20l 2/08/09/us/susan-g-komen-for-the-cure-changes-leadership.html. Accessed 9 August 2012.
- 15.Will Nancy Brinker’s resignation help Komen Race for the Cure? Palm Beach Post. 10 August 2012. Available at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/opinionzone/2012/08/10/will-nancy-brinker%E2%80%99s-resignation-help-komen-race-for-the-cure/. Accessed 1 September 2012.
- 16.Papuga C. Why have women’s health issues become a leading issue in this election? Huffmgton Post. 11 September 2012. Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/casey-papuga/womens-health-leading-issue_b_1875463.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 17.Melnick M. Why a Christian group pulled pink bibles for breast cancer awareness. Time. 16 December 2011. Available at: http://healthland.time.com/20l l/12/16/why-a-christian-group-pulled-pink-bibles-for-breast-cancer-awareness/. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 18.Moyers R. Komen needs a strong board that can Stand up to its founder. Philanthropy. 11 September 2012. Available at: http://philanthropy.com/blogs/against-the-grain/komen-needs-a-strong-board-that-can-stand-up-to-its-founder/28254. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 19.Feder JL. Can Susan G. Komen recover from Planned Parenthood funding fiasco? Politico. 3 February 2012. Available at: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/02l2/72435.html. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 20.Corporate decision renews Target gay rights controversy. Fox8 News. 15 June 2012. Available at: http://www.fox8live.com/story/18680499/target.Accessed 1 September 2012.
- 21.Waldron M. Target’s ‘Pride’ T-shirts stir controversy. KTNV Action News. 1 June 2012. Available at: http://www.ktnv.com/news/national/156531285.html.Accessed 1 September 2012.
- 22.Bohon D. Target Corp. announces t-shirt campaign for homosexual marriage. The New American. 28 May 2012. Available at: http://thenewamerican.com/culture/family/item/11525-target-corp-announces-t-shirt-campaign-for-homosexual-marriage. Accessed 1 September 2012.
- 23.Target Corporation. Culture. Available at: http://corporate.target.com/careers/culture. Accessed 10 October 2012.
- 24.Liebman P. Is ethics a valuable intangible asset? Mission Intangible Monthly Briefing. 9 April 2010. Audio recordings available from the Intangible Asset Finance Society: http://iafinance.org/monthly-briefings. Accessed 8 October 2012.