In one of the final scenes in the 1993 murder mystery film, Rising Sun, a police inspector stands in a Japanese corporate boardroom at the top floor of a towering office building. In front of the entire board, he prepares to accuse one member of criminal culpability. With tension rising, fellow board members begin to distance themselves physically from the soon-to-be-accused. taking the cultural cue, the executive takes the honorable route and leaps out of a window, mercifully ending the crisis for all.
KeywordsBusiness Process Intangible Asset Corporate Reputation Corporate Behavior Deepwater Horizon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Broder JM. Oil Executives break ranks in testimony. New York Times. 15 June 2010. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/business/16oil.html. Accessed 14 June 2012.
- 2.Elkind P, Whitford D, Burke D. BP: ‘An accident waiting to happen’. Fortune. 24 January 2011. Available at: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2011/01/24/bp-an-accident-waiting-to-happen/ Accessed 22 July 2012.
- 3.Accidental discharges of oil. Global Marine Oil Pollution Information Gateway. Available at: http://oils.gpa.unep.org/facts/oilspills.htm Accessed 21 July 2012.
- 4.Repanich J. The Deepwater Horizon spill by the numbers. Popular Mechanics. 10 August 2010. Available at: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/coal-oil-gas/bp-oil-spill-statistics. Accessed 21 July 2012.
- 5.Kossovsky N, Miller TA. Mission: Intangible. Managing risk and reputation to create enterprise value. Pittsburgh/Vancouver: Intangible Asset Finance Society/Trafford, 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.Abdul-Rahman A, Hailes S. Supporting trust in virtual communities. In: Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Maui, Hawaii, 4–7 January 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Schumpeter. What’s in a name? Economist,. 21 April 2012. http://www.economist.com/node/21553033. Accessed 22 July 2012.
- 9.Greenberg MD. On breaking the log jam: The how and why of corporate reputation leadership. Corp Finance Rev. 2012; 17(1): 11–17.Google Scholar
- 10.Pfeiffer R. An introduction to classic American pragmatism. Philosophy Now, October/ November 2003 (43). Available at: http://philosophynow.org/issues/43/An_Introduction_to_Classic_American_Pragmatism. Accessed 29 July 2012.