There are few issues that are as polarizing as the topic of global warming. On one side are proponents of the theory that human activity is contributing to climate extremes, and that rising greenhouse gas emissions pose a serious threat to life on earth. On the other side are people who believe that global warming is at a minimum grossly exaggerated, at worst a scam, and that enacting drastic measures to address the issue will result in economic calamity. On each side are people who feel strongly about their position, and who believe that if the other side prevails the results will be disastrous.
KeywordsGlobal Warming Gross Domestic Product Carbon Emission Greenhouse Effect Asia Pacific Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- i.Ipsos, “Reuters/Stanford/Ipsos Environmental Poll,” September 16, 2011, http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=5337; full report, “National Survey of American Public Opinion on Global Warming,” available at http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=10987.Google Scholar
- ii.National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), “Key Issues & Mandates: Climate Change — Frequently Asked Questions,” accessed October 1, 2011, http://www.netl.doe.gov/keyissues/climate_change3.html.Google Scholar
- iii.Andrew A. Lacis, et al., “Atmospheric CO2: Principal Control Knob Governing Earth’s Temperature,” Science 330, No. 6002 (October 15, 2010): 356.Google Scholar
- iv.Energy Information Administration (EIA), Alternatives to Traditional Transportation Fuels 1994, Volume 2, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, App. D, “Greenhouse Gas Spectral Overlaps and Their Significance,” page last modified January 10, 2008, http://www.eia.gov/cneaf/alternate/page /environment/appd_d.html.Google Scholar
- v.U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Volcanic Gases and Their Effects, page last modified June 11, 2010, http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php.Google Scholar
- vii.Julie Cart, “California Becomes First State to Adopt Cap-and-Trade Program,” Los Angeles Times, October 21, 2011, http://www.latimes.com /news/local/la-me-cap-trade-20111021,0,1125437.Google Scholar