Henry Ford may have been a bit ahead of his time, but he was right about one thing: the energy of the future will have to come increasingly from renewable energy. Over the past 250 years, humans have consumed an ever-increasing amount of fossil resources like coal, oil, and natural gas. But as these resources are depleted, the world must transition to renewable sources of energy.
KeywordsWind Power Solar Power Concentrate Solar Power Power Play Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- i.Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21), Renewables 2011 Global Status Report (GSR), July 12, 2011, http://www.ren21.net/Portals/97/documents/GSR/REN21_GSR2011.pdf.Google Scholar
- ii.Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, “Wood Energy,” last updated January 25, 2012, http://www.fao.org/forestry /energy/en/.Google Scholar
- iii.U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), “Wood and Pellet Heating,” last updated February 9, 2011, http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home /space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12570.Google Scholar
- iv.Kirk R. Smith et al., “Indoor Air Pollution in Developing Countries and Acute Lower Respiratory Infections in Children,” Thorax 55, no. 6 (June 2000): 518–532.Google Scholar
- vi.Christopher Bodeen, “China Plans to Relocate Millions near Gorges Dam,” Associated Press, October 13, 2007, http://articles.boston.com /2007-10-13/news/29225490_1_china-plans-three-gorges-dam-landslides.Google Scholar
- vii.International Energy Agency (IEA) Wind, IEA Wind 2010 Annual Report, July 2011, http://www.ieawind.org/IndexPagePOSTINGS/IEA Wind 2010 AR _cover.pdf.Google Scholar
- viii.Robert Bryce, “Windmills Are Killing Our Birds,” Wall Street Journal, Opinion page, September 7, 2009, http://online.wsj.com/article /SB10001424052970203706604574376543308399048.html#articleTabs%3D article.Google Scholar
- ix.Wallace P. Erickson, Gregory D. Johnson, and David P. Young Jr., “A Summary and Comparison of Bird Mortality from Anthropogenic Causes with an Emphasis on Collisions,” USDA Forest Service, 2005, http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr191/Asilomar /pdfs/1029-1042.pdf.Google Scholar
- x.Zachary Shahan, “World’s First Molten Salt Concentrating Solar Power Plant Opens,” CleanTechnica, July 26, 2010, http://cleantechnica.com/2010 /07/26/worlds-first-molten-salt-concentrating-solar-power-plant-opens/.Google Scholar
- xi.International Energy Agency, “Technology Roadmap: Concentrating Solar Power,” 2010, http://www.iea.org/papers/2010/csp_roadmap.pdf.Google Scholar
- xii.U.S. Energy Information Administration, DOE/EIA-0383(2011), Annual Energy Outlook 2011, April 2011, http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo /pdf/0383(2011).pdf.Google Scholar
- xiii.Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), The Future of Geothermal Energy, 2006, http://geothermal.inel.gov/publications/future_of_geothermal _energy.pdf.Google Scholar