Fossil Fuels and Nuclear Power
The energy sources discussed in this chapter literally power modern civilization. The world’s transportation system—automobiles, trucks, airplanes, and ships—relies almost exclusively on fuel derived from oil. Coal, natural gas, and nuclear power produce three-quarters of the world’s electricity. Almost every modern country in the world is dependent on these energy sources, and most countries are heavily dependent. Let’s take a closer look at the energy sources that most of us rely on every day.
KeywordsSteam Engine Energy Information Administration Primary Energy Source Secondary Energy Energy Information Administration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- i.U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), DOE/EIA-0484(2011), International Energy Outlook 2011, September 2011, 87, http://www.eia.gov /forecasts/ieo/pdf/0484(2011).pdf.Google Scholar
- ii.EIA, Long Term World Oil Supply, July 28, 2000, http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub /oil_gas/petroleum/presentations/2000/long_term_supply/index.htm.Google Scholar
- iii.BP, BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2011, http://www.bp.com /sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=7500&contentId=7068481.Google Scholar
- iv.EIA, Annual Energy Review 2009, DOE/EIA-0384(2009), August 2010, xxiii, http://www.eia.gov/FTPROOT/multifuel/038409.pdf.Google Scholar
- v.Ben Lefebvre, “US Could Become Net Fuel Exporter,” Downstream Today.com, November 10, 2010, http://www.downstreamtoday.com /news/article.aspx?a_id=24640.Google Scholar
- vi.U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), How Does Electricity Affect the Environment? last updated August 10, 2009, http://www.epa.gov /cleanenergy/energy-and-you/affect/index.html.Google Scholar
- vii.BP, BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2011, http://www.bp.com /sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=7500&contentId=7068481.Google Scholar
- viii.Ibid.Google Scholar
- ix.World Nuclear Association (WNA), “World Nuclear Power Reactors & Uranium Requirements,” January 1, 2012, http://www.world-nuclear.org /info/reactors.html.Google Scholar