U.S. Energy Politics
The current U.S. president and the past seven U.S. presidents—five Republicans and three Democrats presiding over a span of over four decades— have publicly declared that U.S. dependence on foreign oil is a national security risk. They have all stressed the need for a comprehensive energy policy to reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil and improve U.S. energy security. The result? Oil demand and oil imports climbed mostly unabated across the terms of those eight presidents.
KeywordsEnergy Policy Energy Information Administration Obama Administration Power Play Energy Independence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- i.Jon Stewart, “An Energy-Independent Future,” The Daily Show, broadcast June 16, 2010 on Comedy Central, available at www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-june-16-2010/an-energy-independent-future.Google Scholar
- ii.International Energy Agency (IEA), CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion, 2011 Edition (Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, 2011).Google Scholar
- iii.David Frum, How We Got Here: The’ 70s (New York: Basic Books, 2000).Google Scholar
- iv.National Research Council, Effectiveness and Impact of Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) Standards (Washington D.C.: The National Academies Press, 2002), p. 9, electronic edition accessed January 1, 2012, http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10172&page=9.Google Scholar
- v.Energy Information Administration (EIA), “Moratorium on Offshore Drilling (1990),” accessed January 2, 2012, www.eia.gov/oil_gas/natural_gas/analysis_publications/ngmajorleg/moratorium.html.Google Scholar
- vi.Michiko Kakutani, “Bill Clinton Lays Out His Prescription for America’s Future,” New York Times, November 7, 2011, www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/books/back-to-work-has-bill-clintons-ideas-for-america-review.html.Google Scholar
- vii.National Energy Policy Development Group, Report of the National Energy Policy Development Group, May 16, 2001, available at http://wtrg.com/EnergyReport/National-Energy-Policy.pdf.Google Scholar
- viii.Ray Suarez, “Obama Extends Drilling Moratorium, Defends Administration’s Spill Response,” PBS News Hour, May 27, 2010, www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/jan-june10/oil1_05-27.html.Google Scholar
- ix.Associated Press, “In a First, Gas and Other Fuels Are Top US Export,” USAToday.com, December 31, 2011, www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2011-12-31/united-states-export/52298812/1.Google Scholar
- x.EIA, Crude Oil Production, accessed January 30, 2011, www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbblpd_m.htm.Google Scholar
- xi.Ibid.Google Scholar
- xii.London Bureau, “Goldman Sees US as Top Oil Producer in 2017,” Dow Jones Newswires, September 12, 2011, http://rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=110840.Google Scholar