March 11, 2011 is a day I will never forget. I had just arrived home to my Tokyo apartment and was searching the house for some documents I needed for an urgent errand. As I leafed through stacks of papers on my desk, I began feeling the all-too-common motion of an earthquake. Having lived in Tokyo for five years, the sensation had become commonplace in my mind, and I continued looking around. At first, I assumed it was just like all the other minor quakes I had experienced in the past.
KeywordsPeak Ground Acceleration Mass Effect Tohoku Quake Micro Electro Mechanical System Serial Port
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_waves#Surface_wavesGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scaleGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_magnitude_scaleGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_intensity_scaleGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_earthquakes#Largest_earthquakes_by_magnitudeGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tōhoku_earthquakeGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_accelerationGoogle Scholar
- •.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_velocityGoogle Scholar
- •.Quake Catcher Network: http://qcn.stanford.edu/Google Scholar
- •.Freeware seismometer software: http://pods.binghamton.edu/~ajones/AmaSeis.htmlGoogle Scholar
- •.Introduction to measuring Earthquakes: http://faculty.weber.edu/bdattilo/shknbk/notes/msrngerthqks.htmGoogle Scholar
- •.KXM52 module from Akizuki Denshi: http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/ gI-01425/Google Scholar
- •.MMA7361 module from SparkFun: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9652Google Scholar