Getting Started: A Modeling Primer
This chapter will introduce you to enterprise modeling, enterprise development, and enterprise applications. Because we believe in learning by doing, we’ll also use this chapter to let you get your feet wet. We’ll walk you through two short but useful example models: one that you’ll be able to use to create the skeleton for Visual Basic .NET (VB .NET) and/or C# classes and another that you can use to model the database.
KeywordsUnify Modeling Language Modeling Primer Visual Basic Enterprise Modeling Type List
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A UML model is never really complete, meaning you can always find things that can be expressed in a more detailed way. Our intention in stating that a model can be complete or incomplete is that you can say it’s complete when all parties involved are satisfied that the information they want is contained in the model in the desired details. In other words, when it’s good enough to proceed to the next stage.Google Scholar
- 2.Rational Software was acquired by IBM, and the company is now called IBM Rational Software.Google Scholar
- 3.If you have specified that VS.NET should open the last loaded solution when opening, you can change that from the Options dialog box, or you can manually open the generated code file.Google Scholar
- 4.The next version of VS.NET, code-named Whidbey, should be able to handle unsigned data types. It is scheduled to be released sometime in 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.Table is a physical database term, and entity is a conceptual database term. You should keep this in mind, because Visio sometimes seems to mix the two.Google Scholar
- 6.You can just as easily choose one of the other options, but for the sake of this example, please follow the exercise.Google Scholar
- 7.The Northwind sample database comes with most versions of Microsoft Access, but it’s also an optional setup part of Microsoft SQL Server 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.You can just as easily choose one of the other options, but for the sake of this example, please follow the exercise.Google Scholar