Lasers, highly focused beams of energy, have been a standard in movies and games for many years. The word “laser” is an acronym that stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emiss of Radiation. Don’t worry what “Stimulated Emission” means right now. We’ll go over that la in this chapter. One of the reasons that lasers can be powerful is that they concentrate light or other types of radiation into a narrow, concentrated beam. A laser beam can burn through the skin of an airplane, disable electronic devices, blind enemy soldiers, and lots of other things besides.
KeywordsLaser Beam Lasing Medium Lower Energy State High Energy State Excited Energy State
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. R. Nave, “Laser Types,” http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/lastyp.html#c1.
- 2.M. Weschler, “How Lasers Work,” http://science.howstuffworks.com/laser8.htm.
- 3.“ABL YAL 1A Airborne Laser,” http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/.
- 4.“Space Based Laser,” http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/sbl.htm.
- 5.“Laser Weapon Technology,” http://www.ifa.au.dk/~balling/alp/starwars.pdf.
- 6.B. Anderberg and Wolbarsht, M., Laser Weapons: The Dawn of a New Military Age, Plenum Press, 1992.Google Scholar