Working With Families
It has been argued that users of publicly funded mental health services should receive interventions which meet their specific needs and are proven by research to be effective (Falloon and Fadden, 1993). Research carried out around the world over the past two decades has provided evidence for the effectiveness of working with families of people who have a diagnosis of schizophrenia (Penn and Mueser, 1996).
KeywordsVortex Depression Schizophrenia Assimilation Beach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrowclough, C. and Tarrier, N. (1992) Families of Schizophrenic Patients. Cognitive Behavioural Intervention, London, Chapman & Hall.Google Scholar
- Boyle, M. (1990) Schizophrenia: a scientific delusion? London, Routledge.Google Scholar
- Clinical Standards Advisory Group (1995) Schizophrenia, Vol. 1, London, HMSO.Google Scholar
- Fadden, G. (1998) ‘Family intervention’, in C. Brooker and J. Repper (eds), Serious Mental Health Problems in the Community: Policy, Practice and Research, London, Balliere Tindall.Google Scholar
- Falloon, I.R.H., Mueser K. and Gingerich F. et al. (1988) Behaviour Family Therapy: A Workbook, Buckingham, Buckingham Mental Health Service.Google Scholar
- Falloon, I.R.H. and Fadden, G. (1993) Integrated Mental Health Care, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hogarty, G., Anderson, C.M. and Reiss, D.J. et al. (1986) ‘Family Psychoeducation, social skills training, and maintenance chemotherapy in the aftercare treatment of schizophrenia. I: one-year effects of a controlled study on relapse and expressed emotion’, Archives of General Psychiatry, 43, 633–42.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Johnstone, L. (1999) ‘Do families cause schizophrenia? Revisiting a taboo subject’, Changes, 17(2), 77–90.Google Scholar
- Kingdon, D.G. and Turkington, D. (1994) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy of Schizophrenia, Hove, Psychology Press, Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Lancashire, S. (1998) The KGV (M) Symptom Scale Version 6, unpublished paper, University of Manchester.Google Scholar
- Leff, J. (1994) ‘Working with the families of schizophrenic patients’, British Journal of Psychiatry, 164(Suppl. 23), 71–6.Google Scholar
- Wing, J.K., Curtis, R.H. and Beevor, A.S. (1996) HoNOS, Health of the Nation Outcome Scales. Report on research and development, London, Research Unit, Royal College of Psychiatrists.Google Scholar