Enhancing Security in the Middle East: The Challenges of Regional Cooperation
The Middle East continues to face a number of serious security challenges – the Israeli Palestinian conflict, Syria, the Iraqi situation, nuclear proliferation in Iran, the conflict in Afghanistan, political instability in Lebanon, related events in Darfur, terrorism, and radical Islamists. Past US and European efforts to promote regime change have undermined the credibility of Western governments in the region. However, political and governance reforms in the direction of democracy, with the respectful support of Western governments, are a prerequisite for a stable and peaceful Middle East.
KeywordsMiddle East security Israel–Palestinian conflict Syria Iraq Iran Afghanistan Lebanon Sudan terrorism Islam good governance regional cooperation
- Carothers, T. and Ottaway, M. (eds.) (2005) Uncharted journey: promoting democracy in the Middle East. Washington, DC: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.Google Scholar
- Fawcett, L. and Hurrell, A. (eds.) (1995). Regionalism in world politics: regional organization and international order. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fleishman, J. (2007). Arab world braces for an emboldened Iran. The MiamiHerald.com, December. http://www.grc.ae/studies/ .
- Hassan Bin Talal, HRH Prince. (1996). Interview in the Jordan Times, 5 October. http://www.elhassan.org/reg/personal/ebio3.html .
- Hassan Bin Talal, HRH Prince. (2007). The Muslim gift of peace: speech – August 3. http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/hassan_bin_talal/2007/08/the_muslim_gift_of_peace.html .
- Hersh, S. (2008). Preparing the battlefield. The New Yorker, July 7. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/07/080707fa_fact_hersh?currentPage=all .
- Hoffman, H. (2007a). World security network: networking a safer world. http://www.worldsecuritynetwork.com/_dsp/dsp_authorBio3.cfm?authID=12 .
- Hoffman, H. (2007b). U.S. foreign policy: dangerous and destructive? Speech at Trinity College Dublin. http://www.worldsecuritynetwork.com/showArticle3.cfm?article_id=14993 .
- International Crisis Group Report. (2007a). Hizbollah and the Lebanese crisis. Middle East Report No. 69. http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=5113&l=1 .
- International Crisis Group Report. (2007b) Country Report: Sudan. http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=1230&l=1 .
- Kaplan, E. and Bruno, G. (2008). The Taliban in Afghanistan. Council on Foreign Relations Backgrounder, July 2. http://www.cfr.org/publication/10551/ .
- Lancaster, P. (2008). Comment. The Middle East, January. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2742/is_385/ai_n25017640?tag=artBody;col1 .
- Myers, S.L. (2008). Bush urges Arab allies to confront Iran. The New York Times, 13 January. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/world/middleeast/13cnd-prexy.html .
- Nasr, V. and Takeyh, R. (2007). How Iran's president is being undercut. Christian Science Monitor, 13 December. http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1214/p09s02-coop.html .
- Rostow, W.W. (1990). The coming age of regionalism. A ‘metaphor’ for our time? Encounter, 74(5): 3–7.Google Scholar
- Rothstein, H.S. (2006). Afghanistan and the troubled future of unconventional warfare. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press.Google Scholar
- Thomas-Jensen, C. and Ismail, O. (2007). Nations must enforce Darfur Peace Agreement. The Boston Globe, February 10.Google Scholar
- Traub, J. (2007). The UN and Iraq: moving forward? Policy Brief. Muscatine, IA: The Stanley Foundation. http://www.stanleyfoundation.org/resources.cfm?ID=264 .
- UN News Centre. (2006). Afghanistan could return to being a ‘failed State,’ warns Security Council mission chief. http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20702&Cr=afghan&Cr1 .
- World Bank. (2003). Better governance in the Middle East and North Africa: enhancing inclusiveness and accountability. Washington, DC: World Bank.Google Scholar