Coastal Ocean Information Network (ATLANTIC): From Concept to Reality: A Status Report
The Atlantic Coastal Zone Information Steering Committee (ACZISC) has embarked on the first phase in the development of a geospatial data infrastructure in Atlantic Canada termed COINAtlantic. Many workshops have been held to date to refine the concept and to test it for acceptance with both potential users and data providers. A consensus was achieved at the third workshop to the effect that COINAtlantic would be an important component of an Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) Community of Practice in Atlantic Canada. The chapter provides a brief history of COIN, a summary of the results of the first three workshops and presents evidence of the technical and organizational readiness of the stakeholder community for COINAtlantic. This status report has been updated to document progress in the development of COINAtlantic to the beginning of 2009.
KeywordsIntegrated coastal management Spatial data infrastructure Community of practice Coinatlantic Results-based management
- Anon. (2004). A Survey of OGC Deployment, DigitalEarth.org collaborative geotech weblog, http://digitalearth.org/story/2004/12/1/15658/1000 (May 30, 2005).
- Butler, M.J.A., LeBlanc, C., and Stanley, J.M. (1988). Coastal and Ocean Information Network (COIN). Report submitted to the Canadian Hydrographic Service, Department of Fisheries and Oceans by MRMS Inc., 85 p.Google Scholar
- Forrest, D., (1991). New National GIS Network Gaining Support, GIS World – GIS Canada, http://www.innovationwatch.com/gisworldscan.1991.10.00.htm (May 29, 2005).
- Gillespie, R., Butler, M.J.A, Anderson, N., Kucera, H., and LeBlanc, C. (2000). “MGDI: An Information Infrastructure to Support Integrated Coastal Management in Canada”, GeoCoast, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 15–24.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R., Nedovic-Budic, Z., and Covert, K., (2001). Lessons from practice A guidebook to organizing and sustaining geodata collaboratives, Geodata Alliance, Reston, Virginia.Google Scholar
- Owen, H., (1997). Open Space Technology: A User’s Guide, 2nd Edition, Berrett-Koehler Publishers : San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Sherin, A.G. (2007) COINAtlantic: Planning for a Sustainable Future. In: Proceedings: CoastGIS 2007 (Santander : October 2007) http://www.gioc.unican.es/CoastGIS07/files/Sherin_Coast GIS07_paper.doc (January, 11, 2009).
- Wenger E., (1998). Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning and Identity. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar