“Ythanview” — Visualizing an Estuary and Virtual Fieldwork at the Ythan Estuary, Scotland, UK
This chapter describes an ongoing research project, “YthanView”, to provide online access and visualization tools for geospatial data and information characterizing the Ythan Estuary in northeast Scotland. The project addresses requirements for new and innovative ways to store, catalogue, access, and visualize a wide range of terrestrial and coastal data and information for a small estuarine environment, and to make it more widely available for teaching, research and consultancy activities. Building upon work currently being undertaken at the University of Aberdeen, to facilitate wider access to estuarine data and information resources, the project also considers ways to introduce undergraduate and postgraduate students to coastal and estuarine fieldwork, to reduce staff/student contact hours, and to establish closer links with academic research and consultancy as part of its aims. Several examples illustrate the different ways in which visualization can be used to display, explore, and communicate geospatial information for an estuarine environment.
KeywordsGIS Visualisation Coastal management Ythan estuary Ythanview
- Bossomaier, T.R.J., and Green, D.G., 2001. Online GIS and Spatial Metadata. Taylor & Francis, London.Google Scholar
- Chan, K., 2003. Sediment and Macro-Algae Relationship of the Ythan Estuary: A Remote Sensing and GIS Approach. Unpublished M.Sc. Dissertation, Department of Geography, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK, 60p.Google Scholar
- Dunne, B., 2003. The Relationship Between Algal Mats and Wading Bird Populations in the Ythan Estuary, North East Scotland. Unpublished M.Sc. Dissertation in Ecology, University of Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- Gorman, M., and Raffaelli, D., 1993. The Ythan Estuary. Biologist. Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 10–13.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R. 1995. Preserving a fragile environment: integrating technology to study the Ythan Estuary. Mapping Awareness 9(3, April 1995):28–30.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R., 2005. Going Mobile: Mobile Technologies and GIS. URISA Quick Study Guide. URISA, 60p.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R, and King, S.D., 2002a. Coastal Remote Sensing Guidelines. URISA Quick Study Guide. URISA. 2002. 36p.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R., and King, S.D., 2002b. Ythan Estuary – The Distribution of Weedmats in the Intertidal Zone. Report to Formartine Partnership, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R., and King, S.D., 2003a. Pencil out, stylus in: geospatial technologies give fieldwork a new dimension. Geography. Vol. 89(1):58–70.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R., and King, S.D., 2003b. (Eds.) Coastal and Marine Geo-Information Systems: Applying the Technology to the Environment. Coastal Systems and Continental Margins. Vol. 4. Kluwer, The Netherlands. 580p.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R., 2005a. Applying Geospatial Technologies to Weed Mat Monitoring and Mapping: The Ythan Estuary, NE Scotland. Zeitschrift fur Geomorphologie (Special Issue) Volume 141:197-212.Google Scholar
- Green, D.R., King, S.D., and Morton, D.C. 1998. Small-scale airborne data acquisition systems to monitor and map the coastal environment. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference: Remote Sensing for Marine and Coastal Environments, San Diego, California, 5–7 October 1998, 1479–1486.Google Scholar
- Lobben, A., 2000. Classification and application of cartographic animation. The Professional Geographer. Vol. 55(3): 318–328.Google Scholar
- Longley, P., Goodchild, M.F., Maguire, D.J., and Rhind, D.W., 2001. Geographic Information Systems and Science. John Wiley and Sons. Chichester. 454p.Google Scholar
- MOTIIVE. Marine Overlays on Topography for Annex II Valuation and Exploitation. Data Harmonisation and Integration for Coastal and Marine Stakeholders. http://www.motiive.net.
- Orr, G., 2003. The Distribution of Enteromorpha Alga Mats in Relation to the Sediment Facies of the Intertidal Zone of the Lower Reaches of the Ythan Estuary. Unpublished Undergraduate Dissertation. Department of Geography. University of Dundee, Scotland, UK. 75p.Google Scholar
- Raffaelli, D., 2000. Interactions between macro-algal weedmats and invertebrates in the Ythan estuary, Aberdeenshire Scotland. Marine Research. Vol. 54: 71–79.Google Scholar
- Raffaelli, D., Hull, S., and Milne, H., 1989. Long-term changes in nutrients, weedmats and shorebirds in an estuarine system. Chroniques: Advances in Marine Biology. Vol. 30:259–270.Google Scholar
- Raffaelli, D.G., Raven, J.A., and Poole, L.J., 1998. Ecological impact of green macro-algal blooms. Oceanography and Marine Biology: an Annual Review. Vol. 36: 97–125.Google Scholar
- Stove, G.C., 1978. The Hydrography, Circulation and Sediment Movements of the Ythan Estuary. Unpublished PhD Thesis. University of Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- Wise, S.M., 1998. Digital Terrain Models – Traps for the Unwary. http://www.ccg.leeds. ac.uk/geocomp/1998/80/gc_80.htm. Accessed 2004.