Effective Wall Thickness of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes for Multi-Scale Analysis: The Problem and a Possible Solution
Continuum mechanics models have been used to characterize the mechanical behaviour of carbon nanotubes, but their validity down to the nanometer scale has not been fully verified. A typical example is the effective wall thickness of single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs), which has not been well defined after years of effort. This paper proposes a sufficient condition for determining the effective wall thickness h and Young's modulus E of an SWCNT using in-plane stiffness, K in-plane, torsion stiffness, D torsion, bending stiffness, D bending, and off-plane torsion stiffness, K torsion, as the independent elastic constants of a continuum model. The paper concludes that when the Vodenitcharova-Zhang's necessary condition and D bending/K in-plane = D torsion/K torsion are satisfied, the intersect of D bending and K in-plane curves in the E–h plane will determine a unique h, and in turn, leads to a defined E. For SWCNT (10, 10), h≈ 0.1 nmandE≈3.5TPa.
KeywordsGraphite Hydrocarbon Lution Kelly Defend
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Odegard, GM, Gates, TS, Nicholson, LM and Wise, KE (2002) Equivalent-Continuum. Modeling with Application to Carbon Nanotubes. NASa/TM-2002-211454.Google Scholar
- 13.Vainshtein, BK, Fridkin, VM and Indenbom, VL (1995) VFI Atomic Radii, Structure of Crystals, 3rd edn., Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 19.Huang, Y, Wu, J and Hwang, KC (2006) Thickness of graphene and single-wall carbon nan-otubes. Phys. Rev. B 74:245413-1–9.Google Scholar
- 20.Flugge, W (1973) Stress in Shells, 2nd edn., Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 23.Cao, JX, Yan, XH, Xiao, Y, Tang, Y and Ding, JW (2003) Exact study of lattice dynamics of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Phys. Rev. B 67:045413-1–13.Google Scholar
- 31.Wang, LF, Zheng, QS, Liu, JZ and Jiang, Q (2005) Size dependence of the thin-shell model for carbon nanotubes. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95:105501-1–4.Google Scholar
- 33.Tu, ZC and Ou-Yang, ZC (2002) Single-walled and multiwalled carbon nanotubes viewed as elastic tubes with the effective Young's moduli dependent on layer number. Phys. Rev. B 65:233407-1–4.Google Scholar
- 37.Shen, L and Li, J (2005) Equilibrium structure and strain energy of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Phys. Rev. B 71:165427-1–8.Google Scholar
- 45.Wang, CY and Zhang, LC (2008) A critical assessment of the elastic properties and effective wall thickness of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Nanotechnology 19:075705-1–5.Google Scholar
- 48.Wang, CY and Zhang, LC (2008), An elastic shell model for characterizing single-walled carbon nanotubes. Nanotechnology 19:195704-1–6.Google Scholar
- 50.Batra, RC and Gupta SS (2008) Wall thickness and radial breathing modes of single-walled carbon nanotubes, ASME (in press).Google Scholar