Efficient Design of Arbitrary Complex Response Continuous-Time IIR Filter
A continuous-time system identification technique, Vector Fitting (VF), is extended from symmetric functions, to asymmetrical cases and is used for complex infinite-impulse-response (IIR) continuous-time filter design. VF involves a two-step pole refinement process based on a linear least-squares solve and an eigenvalue problem. The proposed algorithm has lower complexity than conventional schemes by designing complex continuous-time filters directly. Numerical examples demonstrate that VF achieves highly efficient and accurate approximation to arbitrary asymmetric complex filter responses. The promising results can be realized for high dynamic frequency range networks. Robustness stability margin has also proposed for filter implementation robustness.
KeywordsComplex filter Vector fitting Rational function approximation
This work was supported in part by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council and the University Research Committee of The University of Hong Kong.
- 2.Deschrijver, D., Schoeman, M., Dhaene, T., and Meyer, P. (2007). Experimental analysis on the relaxation of macromodeling methods. In Proc. IEEE Africon conference.Google Scholar
- 9.Krukowski, A. and Kate, I. (2003). DSP system design: complexity reduced IIR filter implementation for practical application.Google Scholar
- 10.Lei, C. U. and Wong, N. (2008). Efficient linear macromodeling via discrete-time time-domain vector fitting. In Proc. Intl. Conf. on VLSI Design, pages 469–474.Google Scholar
- 11.Li, E. P., Liu, E. X., Li, L. W., and Leong, M. S. (2004). A coupled efficient and systematic full-wave time-domain macromodeling and circuit simulation method for signal integrity analysis of high-speed interconnects. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 27(1):213–223.Google Scholar
- 12.Mahattanakul, J. and Khumsat, P. (2007). Structure of complex elliptic Gm-C filters suitable for fully differential implementation. IEE Proceedings - Circuits, Devices and Systems, 1(4):275–282.Google Scholar
- 15.Mekonnen, Y. S. and Schutt-Aine, J. E. (2007). Broadband macromodeling of sampled frequency data using z-domain vector-fitting method. In Proc. IEEE workshop on sig. prop. on interconnects. to appear.Google Scholar
- 16.Pandita, B. and Martin, K. W. (2007). Designing complex delta-sigma modulators with signal-transfer functions having good stop-band attenuation. In Proc. IEEE Symp. Circuits and Systems, pages 3626–3629.Google Scholar
- 18.Teplechuk, M. A. and Sewell, J. I. (2006). Approximation of arbitrary complex filter responses and their realisation in log domain. IEE Proceedings - Circuits, Devices and Systems, 153(6):583–590.Google Scholar