Those interested in the 2-year college movement around the world will find the junior college movement in Belize to be an interesting study. Nowhere else, to our knowledge, have 2-year colleges, called junior colleges, had a longer history than the country's national university. And, interestingly, in a country with a long history of British influence on public education, the junior colleges of Belize are modeled on the American junior/community college model! In this chapter, we will attempt to provide a contemporary snapshot of the structure, mission, academic programming, and current issues of the Belizean junior colleges, acknowledging that the impact of globalization is changing them significantly as we write.
KeywordsHigh Education High Education System Junior College High Education Policy Associate Degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aird, C.E. (2004) The origins and evolution of Belizean higher education and factors influencing its development. An unpublished doctoral dissertation: Boston College.Google Scholar
- Barrow, D. (2001) Issues and concerns in the management of tertiary institutions in Belize: A national higher education policy. Journal of Belizean Affairs, 3, 6–13.Google Scholar
- Caribbean Development Bank (2005) Annual Economic Review-Belize, 2005. Retrieved 9/12/06 from http://www/caribank.org.
- Chan, M.A. (2005) The Belize national report on higher education. UNESCO. Available at www. iesalc.unesco.org.veGoogle Scholar
- Fonseca, F. (2006). Remarks delivered by Hon. Francis Fonseca, Attroney General and Minister of Education, at opening of the National Tertiary Education Conference, Belize Biltmore Hotel (September 8, 2006). Accessed on 9/4/2007 from http://www.moes.gov.bz/Address/2006.09.07.NTEC Hon.Francis.htm.
- Hoare, O. (2007) A case study of governance of higher education in Belize: Implications for finance and curricula in higher education. An unpublished dissertation: University of South Florida.Google Scholar
- Muffles Junior College Homepage, Orange Walk, Belize (2009). Acessed on 1/24/2009 http://www/mufflescollege.edu.bz/login.htm.
- Roberts, F.D. (2001) Belize: A new university and a new direction. International higher education newsletter, Summer. Accessed 9/3/2007 from http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/soe/cihe/newsletter/News24/text010.htm.
- Sacred Heart Junior College Catalog, St. Ignacio, Belize (2007).Google Scholar