Some Advances in UWB GPR
A principle of operation and arrangement of UWB antenna systems with frequency independent electromagnetic decoupling is discussed. The peculiar design of the antenna makes it possible to use it in two different modes: horizontal scanning mode and accurate definition of local object location mode. The technique for automatic local objects detection on GPR images is considered. It is based on the Hough transform for detection of hyperbolic curves. Estimation of the accuracy of the objects' measured coordinates and evaluation of the detection probability have been performed for the case of automatic interpretation of GPR sounding results.
KeywordsGround penetrating radar GPR impulse signal transmitting-receiving antennas decoupling Hough transform detection probability false alarm probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. S. Fu, R. C. Gonzalez, and C. S. G. Lee. Robotics: Control, Sensing, Vision and Intelligence. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.M. M. Golovko. The automatic determination of soil permittivity using the response from a subsurface local object. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on “Ultra- wideband and ultrashort impulse signals” UWBUSIS-2004 Sevastopol, Ukraine, Sept. 19–22, 2004, 248–250.Google Scholar
- 5.M. M. Golovko. The evaluation of performances of automatic method for the object detection in GPR images. In Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on “Image and Signal Processing and Analysis” Istambul, Turkey, Sept. 27–29, 2007, 476–481.Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Golovko and G. P. Pochanin. Application of the Hough transform for automatic detection of objects in georadar profiles. In Elektromagnitnye volny i elektronnye sistemy (Electromagnetic waves and electronics systems, in Russian) 9(9–10):22–30, 2004.Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Tuchkevich and V. M. Grekhov. New principles of high power commutation with semiconductor devices. Leningrad: Nauka, 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Kaneko. Radar image processing for locating underground linear objects. In IEICE Transactions E74(10):3452–3458, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.Yu. A. Kopylov, S. A. Masalov, and G. P. Pochanin. Method for decoupling between transmitting and receiving modules of antenna system. Patent UA 81652. Jan. 25, 2008.Google Scholar