In-Situ Estimates of Material Damping from Environmental Noise Measurements
Experimental results at two test sites are described, which support the idea that the cross-correlation of noise recordings allows the retrieval of the local Green's function also including subsoil attenuation properties. In particular, the analysis of field measurements of environmental noise carried on with arrays of common vertical geophones suggests that passive in-situ estimates of the attenuation exponent are possible and that the values provided in this way are comparable with those obtained with alternative active techniques. These results open new interesting perspectives for engineering and geotechnical application of environmental noise surveys.
KeywordKeywords In situ estimates Damping Seismic noise Seismic interferometry Passive seismic survey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aki K., 1957. Space and time spectra of stationary stochastic waves, with special reference to microtremor. Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst., 35, 415–456Google Scholar
- Aki K., Richards P.G., 2002. Quantitative seismology. Univ.Sci. Book, Sausalito, CA, USA, 700 ppGoogle Scholar
- Burghignoli A., Cavalera V., Chieppa V., Jamiolkovski M., Mancuso C., Marchetti V., Pane V., Paoliani P., Silvestri F., Vinale F., 1991. Geotechnical characterization of Fucino clay. Proceedings of the Xth European Conference of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Firenze, Italy, Balkema, Rotterdam, Brookfield, 27–40Google Scholar
- Dziewonski A.M., Hales A.L., 1972. Numerical analysis of dispersed seismic waves. In Method in Computational Physics, Volume 11, edited by B.A. Bolt, Academic, pp. 39–85Google Scholar
- Kramer S.L., 1996. Geotechnical earthquake engineering. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 653 ppGoogle Scholar
- Lai C.G., 1998. Simultaneous inversion of Rayleigh phase velocity and attenuation for near-surface site characterization, Ph.D. dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, AtlantaGoogle Scholar
- Lay T., Wallace T.C., 1995. Modern Global Seismology. Academic, San Diego, CA, 521 ppGoogle Scholar
- Lee Y.W., 1960. Statistical Theory of Communication. Wiley New York, 509 ppGoogle Scholar
- Lo Presti D.C.F., Pallaro O., Cavallaro A., 1997. Damping ratio of soils from laboratory and in-situ tests. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Soil Mech. Fund. Engng., pp. 391–400Google Scholar
- Okada H., 2003. The microtremor survey method. Gephys. Monogr. Series, 12, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 129 ppGoogle Scholar
- Pane V., Burghignoli A., 1988. Determinazione in laboratorio delle caratteristiche dinamiche dell'argilla del Fucino (in Italian). Proc. Of the Meeting “Deformazioni dei terreni ed interazione terreno-struttura in condizioni di esercizio”. Monselice, Padova, 5–6 october. 1, pp. 115–139Google Scholar
- SESAME European project (2002). Optimum deployment strategy and quality measure for array layout in view of obtaining surface wave. Report WP05. http://sesame-fp5.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr/Delivrables/D07-05 Texte.pdf