The Evolution of Pacemakers: An Electronics Perspective
A brief overview of the history and development of circuit designs applied in cardiac pacemakers is presented in Chapter 2. The advances in integrated circuit designs have resulted in, for instance, diagnostic analysis, adaptive rate response and programmability. Also, based on future trends for pacemakers, some features and improvements for modern cardiac sensing systems are described and we point out the need for morphological wavelet analysis of the cardiac signal.
KeywordsZinc Catheter Mercury Respiration Cardiol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. C. Guyton and J. E. Hall, Textbook of Medical Physiology, 9th edn, W. B. Saunders, Toronto, January 1996. Google Scholar
- J. D. Bronzino, The Biomedical Engineering Handbook, 2nd edn, vol. 1, CRC Press and IEEE Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2000. Google Scholar
- R. Sutton and I. Bourgeois, The Foundations of Cardiac Pacing. Part I, Futura Publishing Company, Mount Kisco, NY, 1991. Google Scholar
- M. Schaldach and S. Furman, Advances in Pacemaker Technology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1975. Google Scholar
- A. A. Hyman, Resuscitation of the stopped heart by intracardial theraphy, Arch. Intern. Med., vol. 50, pp. 283-305, 1932. Google Scholar
- R. Elmqvist and A. Senning, An Implantable Pacemaker for the Heart, Tliffe, London, pp. 253-254, 1959. Google Scholar
- W. Greatbatch, Medical cardiac pacemaker, US Patent 3,057,356, October 1962. Google Scholar
- B. V. Berkovits, Demand pacer, US Patent 3,528,428, September 1970. Google Scholar
- B. V. Berkovits, Atrial and ventricular demand pacer, US Patent 3,595,242, July 1971. Google Scholar
- C. D. Swerdlow, M. L. Brown, K. Lurie, J. Zhang, N. M. Wood, H. W. Olson, and J. M. Gillberg, Discrimination of ventricular tachycardia from supraventricular tachycardia by a downloaded wavelet-transform morphology algorithm: a paradigm for development of implantable cardioverter defibrillator detection algorithms, Pacing Clin. Electrophysiol., vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 432-441, 2002. Google Scholar
- G. Strang and T. Nguyen, Wavelets and Filter Banks, Wellesley-Cambridge Press, Wellesley, MA, 1996. Google Scholar