Design of an Actuation System for a Fatigue Test RIG
Hydraulic servo systems are the product of a mature, reliable technology whose main advancements have been produced after the second world war in the so called “cold war" period. However even considering the recent development of electric linear actuator, and the general cost reduction of power electronics, this technology is still fashionable for many motion control applications in which heavy force/encumbrances ratio are required. Modern CAE techniques can be used to overcome traditional design troubles related to the modeling of components, often dominated by non linear effects due to complex physical phenomena like pressure drops, bulk modulus, etc.
In this work authors show a case study concerning a real application: the design of the actuation system for an advanced fatigue test rig that have to be used to verify structural and modal properties of compound panels used for the construction of railway vehicles.
KeywordsHydraulic Servo system Motion control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.M. Di, Hodgkinson, Mechanical Testing of Advanced Fibre Composites, Woodhead Publishing 2003Google Scholar
- 3.R.B. Deo, C.R. Saff, Composite Materials: Testing and Design, ASTM International 1996Google Scholar
- 4.Moog Inc., G761 Series Servovalves ISO 10372 Size 04, Technical documentation 2008Google Scholar
- 5.W.J. Thayer, Transfer Functions for MOOG Servovalves, Moog Technical Bulletin 103 1965Google Scholar
- 6.N.D. Marning, Hydraulic Control Systems, John Wiley and Sons 2005Google Scholar
- 7.R.S. Cataldo, Analysis of Electrohydraulic Valves and Systems ISA-11-60, presented at JACC, Boston, USA September 1960Google Scholar
- 8.G.G. Lisini, Servomeccanismi, Editrice Tecnico Universitaria, PISA 1973Google Scholar
- 9.H.E. Merritt, Hydraulic Control Systems, New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1967Google Scholar
- 10.Hydraulic Servo-systems: Modelling, Identification and Control, Di Mohieddine Jelali, Andreas Kroll, Pubblicato 2003 Springer ISBN: 1852336927Google Scholar
- 11.D.J. Martin, C.R. Burrows, Mathe, Dynamic Characteristics of an Electro-Hydraulic Servovalve(American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1976.) ASME, Transactions, Series G – Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 98, 395–406, December 1976Google Scholar