Return on Investment or How Not to Pay Commercial Licenses for Your Own Technology
Culver presents an interesting perspective on performance measurement and the evaluation of intellectual property and research in general. It deals with the common issue of getting the best knowledge that science and social science can produce into the public forum for informed, enlightened debate when dealing with the issues of the day, and for use in promoting the social and economic well-being of Canadians. A practical example of this would be the transformation of primary research on fish nutrition and diet experiments conducted under the auspices of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Aquaculture Collaborative Research and Development Program (a public good program) and the need for industry confidentiality to secure a market for the new product.
KeywordsBoard Secretariat Patentable Subject Matter Aquaculture Management Knowledge Management Organisation Federal Public Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aucoin, P. and Jarvis, M.D. 2005. Modernizing Government Accountability: A Framework for Reform. Canada School for Public Service (CSPS), http://www.ccmd-ccg.gc.ca/Research/publications/pdfs/p131_e.pdf; accessed September 9, 2007.
- Canadian Centre for Management Development (CCMD). 2001. Moving from the Heroic to the Everyday: Lessons Learned from Leading Horizontal Projects. http://www.ccmd-ccg.gc.ca/Research/publications/pdfs/horinz_rt_e.pdf; accessed September 9, 2007.
- Genome Canada. 2004. Guidelines and Evaluation Criteria for Competition III, July 2004. http:// www.genomecanada.ca/xresearchers/competitions/c3/GuidelinesFinal.pdf; accessed September 9, 2007.
- Government of Canada. 2002. The 2002 Report on Federal Science and Technology. http:// www.innovationstrategy.gc.ca/gol/innovation/site.nsf/en/in05195.html;accessed September 9, 2007.
- Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE). 2005. Letter of Intent Guide 2005 Competition for New NCE Networks-Program Criteria. http://www.nce.gc.ca/comp/comp2005/ loiguide2005_e.htm#criteria;accessed September 9, 2007.
- The Standing Senate Committee on Fisheries (TSSCF). 2001. Aquaculture in Canada’s Atlantic and Pacific Regions, 37th Parliament, 1st Session. http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/ commbus/senate/com-e/fish-e/rep-e/repintjun01-e.htm#THE%20FEDERAL%20ROLE; acce-ssed September 9, 2007.
- Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (TBS). 2006. Results-based Management. http://www. tbs-sct.gc.ca/rma/rbm-gar_e.asp; accessed September 9, 2007.