Visualization of Acoustic Waves Propagating within a Single Anisotropic Crystalline Plate with a Hybrid Acoustic Imaging Technique
We present a hybrid acoustic imaging system to directly visualize acoustic waves propagating within a single anisotropic crystalline plate. A high frequency acoustic point focus lens was used to form a small point source within the plate. A laser interferometric system was used to visualize the acoustic wave propagation. Distinct amplitude patterns at each focal plane were experimentally visualized. The patterns are also theoretically calculated with an Angular Spectrum of Plane Waves method.
Key wordsLaser based ultrasonics Acoustic lens Angular spectrum Anisotropy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. F. Quate, “Acoustic Microscopy,” Physics Today, Vol. 38, pp. 34–42, (August 1985)Google Scholar
- 2.N. Chubachi, “Ultrasonic Micro-Spectroscopy via Rayleigh Waves,” in Rayleigh-Wave Theory and Application, edited by E. A. Ash and E. G. S. Paige, Proceedings of an International Symposium Organized by the Rank Prize Funds at the Royal Institution, London 15-17 July, 1985, pp. 291–297Google Scholar
- 3.J. Kushibiki, N. Chubachi, “Material Characterization by Line-Focus-Beam Acoustic Microscope,” IEEE Trans. SU-32(2), pp. 189–212, (March 1985)Google Scholar
- 4.K. L. Telschow, “Full-Field Imaging of Gigahertz Film Bulk Acoustic Resonator Motion,” IEEE Trans. 50(10), pp. 1279–1285, (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.K. L. Telschow, V. A. Dearson, D. L. Cottle, and J. D. Larson III, “Full-Field Imaging of Acoustic Motion at Nanosecond Time and Micron Length Scale,” in 2002 IEEE Ultrasonics. Symposium, pp. 601–604, (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.K. L. Telschow, V. A. Dearson, D. L. Cottle, and J. D. Larson III, “UHF Acoustic Microscopic Imaging of Resonator Motion,” in 2000 IEEE Ultrasonics. Symposium, pp. 631–634, (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.M. F. Hamilton, Yuri A. Il’inskii, and E. A. Zabolotskaya, “Nonlinear Surface Acoustic Waves in Crystals,” J. Aoust. Soc. Am. 105(2), pp. 639–651, (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 9.D. J. Vezzetti, “Propagation of Bounded Ultrasonic Beams in Anisotropic Media,” J. Aoust. Soc. Am. 78(3), pp. 1103–1108, (September 1985)Google Scholar
- 10.A. Atalar, “An Angular-Spectrum Approach to Contrast in Reflection Acoustic Microscopy,” J. Appl. Phys., 49(10), pp. 5130–5139, (October 1978).Google Scholar